Raising Chicks In a Portacot

Photo of your pergola? Are the blinds metal and bolted into the frame or something (I have no idea!) I know Australia doesn't have the same predators but I doubt there's no predators at all - no stray dogs or snakes?

5 chicks should be fine in this set up I think, with a heating pad. Just make sure you have a heating pad with a no auto shut off feature (most modern heating pads auto shut off at 1 or 2 hrs).
Not home at the moment so I’ll take a photo later. Blinds are bolted in, they don’t move. Definitely no stray dogs and no snakes.

Not home at the moment so I’ll take a photo later. Blinds are bolted in, they don’t move. Definitely no stray dogs and no snakes.

I guess it's up to you if you truly feel it's safe to have them in that location. I still would cover the portacot as you'll potentially find chicks bouncing their way to freedom otherwise - a piece of small wire mesh or small opening bird netting will do, or even a sheet of plywood, as you have plenty of ventilation on the sides.

I guess it's up to you if you truly feel it's safe to have them in that location. I still would cover the portacot as you'll potentially find chicks bouncing their way to freedom otherwise - a piece of small wire mesh or small opening bird netting will do, or even a sheet of plywood, as you have plenty of ventilation on the sides.
Thanks, I’ll probably put some wire on top, but they won’t be able to reach the top anyways but I’ll do it in case. If predators were an issue I would put the portacot inside.

When they’re fully feathered I’ll move to another enclosure I have outside.

Is the other enclosure too far to run your extension cord? (You are using an outdoor grade extension cord, right?) Just wondering why you don't use that structure to begin with.

but they won’t be able to reach the top
Even my Buff Orpingtons can fly when they are chicks. Once they are grown, they are built like a bumble bee. But, being much smarter than a bumble bee, they know they can't fly. :lau

Is the other enclosure too far to run your extension cord? (You are using an outdoor grade extension cord, right?) Just wondering why you don't use that structure to begin with.

Even my Buff Orpingtons can fly when they are chicks. Once they are grown, they are built like a bumble bee. But, being much smarter than a bumble bee, they know they can't fly. :lau
Yep! The other enclosure is too far from the outdoor grade extension cord, the garage and pergola are connected. I’ll make sure I cover the top so they don’t escape as well the odd chance of a predator. Any other recommendations or tips you have that I make to the portacot or do when raising the chicks?

Photo of your pergola? Are the blinds metal and bolted into the frame or something (I have no idea!) I know Australia doesn't have the same predators but I doubt there's no predators at all - no stray dogs or snakes?

5 chicks should be fine in this set up I think, with a heating pad. Just make sure you have a heating pad with a no auto shut off feature (most modern heating pads auto shut off at 1 or 2 hrs).
Here’s some photos of my pergola and the portacot. I’ll place it near the door to enter the pergola. Sorry for the mess!
EC8AC240-CBEB-4403-84DE-E81D586CD685.jpeg

77929219-6AA9-429C-8E32-AF75F7EC16C4.jpeg

5B1EB8F4-F0BB-4AA2-88F9-9FAE925AD631.jpeg

160E0232-22BC-4CE1-8DB8-775C8BEDC8E7.jpeg

ABAE797A-0FD6-45AE-8288-3C7A9B2C5878.jpeg

725BFFA5-EA3B-43DB-915D-6D2DC215BE9E.jpeg

Thank you! Could I use something like this as well? It’s a Brinsea EcoGlow Brooder, similar to the link you posted.

View attachment 2000848
Any tips for raising chicks in a brooder? How many do you think I could keep in a portacot?
I have one of those (though mine is an off-brand one). I’ve been very happy with it. Well worth the money, IMO.

When you consider the number of chicks it can cover, keep in mind the claimed number refers to day-olds. They grow very fast. That said, as they grow they also need less heat. Most of them will be roosting on top within less than a week. (It’s warm up there, too.) you can make your own if you like.

1. Obtain a heating pad with an option to disable the “auto off” feature, or cut out the control and wire the cord back together. You will never use anything but the highest setting anyway, which is what you’ll be left with if you cut out the regulator.
  2. Build an armature to support the heating pad in an arch shape. I used a couple layers of hardware cloth.
  3. Cover the armature and heating pad. Layer the heating pad on top of the armature and wrap it with something that can be wiped clean. I put it inside a plasticized feed bag, then used duct tape to fit the bag to the armature and to secure the cord in place.
  4. You are done! Please remember to disable the auto-off if necessary!
FA080B62-C8B3-496A-AC23-3AD0B4DB75F1.jpeg

Here are adorable little turkey poults enjoying the mama hen heating pad, aka brooding cave.:love

Yep! The other enclosure is too far from the outdoor grade extension cord, the garage and pergola are connected. I’ll make sure I cover the top so they don’t escape as well the odd chance of a predator. Any other recommendations or tips you have that I make to the portacot or do when raising the chicks?
I think you are counting on the brick structure for security. That's what I would focus on as far as predators go. The portacot is not predator safe at all, and I can't think of any way to make it so.

You mentioned putting cardboard around the portacot to keep them warmer. I tried that and my chicks were pecking at and eating the cardboard, so I replaced it with wood. I use a dog crate for brooding chicks. Be sure there is an area in the brooder that isn't heated. They need to be able to self regulate that way.

If you are using a dish for water, put rocks in it. Baby chicks can drown in a small dish of water. There are waterers with very small troughs that are designed to prevent drowning. This last batch of chicks in my brooder were raised with water in a bottle with a nipple. That was just so much easier. We ordered the nipples on Amazon and then installed it onto a water bottle. As for the food, they will be quite messy about that too. There are several feeder designs that limit the loss of chick crumbles.

That's all I can think of in the way of advice. It's a few things I would have loved to know my first time out. The most important thing to do is enjoy it all! Chicks are adorable!

I have one of those (though mine is an off-brand one). I’ve been very happy with it. Well worth the money, IMO.

When you consider the number of chicks it can cover, keep in mind the claimed number refers to day-olds. They grow very fast. That said, as they grow they also need less heat. Most of them will be roosting on top within less than a week. (It’s warm up there, too.) you can make your own if you like.

1. Obtain a heating pad with an option to disable the “auto off” feature, or cut out the control and wire the cord back together. You will never use anything but the highest setting anyway, which is what you’ll be left with if you cut out the regulator.
  2. Build an armature to support the heating pad in an arch shape. I used a couple layers of hardware cloth.
  3. Cover the armature and heating pad. Layer the heating pad on top of the armature and wrap it with something that can be wiped clean. I put it inside a plasticized feed bag, then used duct tape to fit the bag to the armature and to secure the cord in place.
  4. You are done! Please remember to disable the auto-off if necessary!
View attachment 2001689

Here are adorable little turkey poults enjoying the mama hen heating pad, aka brooding cave.:love
Thank you for your help and tips! Would they be fine in the pergola? I can always have them in the house if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom