Raising Chicks In a Portacot

I think you are counting on the brick structure for security. That's what I would focus on as far as predators go. The portacot is not predator safe at all, and I can't think of any way to make it so.

You mentioned putting cardboard around the portacot to keep them warmer. I tried that and my chicks were pecking at and eating the cardboard, so I replaced it with wood. I use a dog crate for brooding chicks. Be sure there is an area in the brooder that isn't heated. They need to be able to self regulate that way.

If you are using a dish for water, put rocks in it. Baby chicks can drown in a small dish of water. There are waterers with very small troughs that are designed to prevent drowning. This last batch of chicks in my brooder were raised with water in a bottle with a nipple. That was just so much easier. We ordered the nipples on Amazon and then installed it onto a water bottle. As for the food, they will be quite messy about that too. There are several feeder designs that limit the loss of chick crumbles.

That's all I can think of in the way of advice. It's a few things I would have loved to know my first time out. The most important thing to do is enjoy it all! Chicks are adorable!
Thanks. We have no predators and it stays pretty warm under the pergola so they won’t be cold, especially under the Brinsea Ecoglow brooder pad. Do you recommend I have them inside? I can if it is necessary.

The pergola is beautiful and would be a lovely first home for your baby chicks since you aren’t worried about predators. (Don’t forget domestic and feral dogs, though.) The portacot will be nice for the first week, depending on how many chicks. It will very quickly get too small, particularly if you’re using an infrared type heater (MHP, brinsea brooding plate, etc) which can’t help taking up real estate, too.

Here’s some photos of my pergola and the portacot. I’ll place it near the door to enter the pergola. Sorry for the mess!
View attachment 2001669
View attachment 2001670
View attachment 2001671
View attachment 2001673
View attachment 2001674
View attachment 2001675
Well, now that I've seen the pergola, I don't think it's predator proof at all. Those shades are basically open at the bottom. Any kind of critter could get in there, including raccoons, weasels, rats, snakes, cats, you'd be surprised. If you have a place in the house where you can set up the portacot, I would recommend doing that. Chicks are only smelly if you don't keep their brooder clean. I clean my brooder every day, and sometimes more often than that. I keep it in the house for the first week or two, and then move it to a lightly heated, predator proof, garage room. When they are so little they are easy prey to just about anything.

I do know you are saying you have no predators...if that were so, you'd be the only person on planet earth with no predators. You just haven't had the right scent on your property to draw them in.

The pergola is beautiful and would be a lovely first home for your baby chicks since you aren’t worried about predators. (Don’t forget domestic and feral dogs, though.) The portacot will be nice for the first week, depending on how many chicks. It will very quickly get too small, particularly if you’re using an infrared type heater (MHP, brinsea brooding plate, etc) which can’t help taking up real estate, too.
Thank you. There are no stray dogs in my area and hardly any in Australia. I have a pet dog and he is best friends with the chickens. He’s had chicks peck him and he didn’t mind! Once they grow their feathers I have an area that is more warmer and have another area for their teenage to pullet stages.

Well, now that I've seen the pergola, I don't think it's predator proof at all. Those shades are basically open at the bottom. Any kind of critter could get in there, including raccoons, weasels, rats, snakes, cats, you'd be surprised. If you have a place in the house where you can set up the portacot, I would recommend doing that. Chicks are only smelly if you don't keep their brooder clean. I clean my brooder every day, and sometimes more often than that. I keep it in the house for the first week or two, and then move it to a lightly heated, predator proof, garage room. When they are so little they are easy prey to just about anything.
Thanks your advice. We don’t have weasels, raccoons, snakes or rats, the only predator that I know is cats! I hardly see them in my backyard. There’s now strict rules so many cats have to be inside. Covering the top would protect them from the cats if one were to come. I may raise them inside, I’ll communicate with the rest of the family and see if they’re okay with it. I could have them in the house for the first week or two and then move them to the pergola area.

I think you are counting on the brick structure for security. That's what I would focus on as far as predators go. The portacot is not predator safe at all, and I can't think of any way to make it so.

You mentioned putting cardboard around the portacot to keep them warmer. I tried that and my chicks were pecking at and eating the cardboard, so I replaced it with wood. I use a dog crate for brooding chicks. Be sure there is an area in the brooder that isn't heated. They need to be able to self regulate that way.

If you are using a dish for water, put rocks in it. Baby chicks can drown in a small dish of water. There are waterers with very small troughs that are designed to prevent drowning. This last batch of chicks in my brooder were raised with water in a bottle with a nipple. That was just so much easier. We ordered the nipples on Amazon and then installed it onto a water bottle. As for the food, they will be quite messy about that too. There are several feeder designs that limit the loss of chick crumbles.

That's all I can think of in the way of advice. It's a few things I would have loved to know my first time out. The most important thing to do is enjoy it all! Chicks are adorable!
I didn’t do it, but I was told you can cut a whole in a milk jug for water? We always used shallow dishes and accept the mess. :)

I’ve spoken to my family and they also suggested the idea of under the pergola. We are going to pit heavy wire on top so no cat can get them. Otherwise there is no drafts and is warm. I will be buying the Brinsea Ecoglow 1200 brooder pad for them.

I don't see an issue with them staying warm with a heating pad and nothing more than a lid on the portacot, there shouldn't be a draft issue with both the pergola and portacot buffering any winds. I'm always going to worry about predators though because I have so many - I've looked out my window an seen stray dogs, a bobcat, coyote... but again you know your area better than I and if you feel comfortable with them in that set up then so be it. Even with all our predators I still decided it was more advantageous for me to brood outside than inside.

I don't see an issue with them staying warm with a heating pad and nothing more than a lid on the portacot, there shouldn't be a draft issue with both the pergola and portacot buffering any winds. I'm always going to worry about predators though because I have so many - I've looked out my window an seen stray dogs, a bobcat, coyote... but again you know your area better than I and if you feel comfortable with them in that set up then so be it. Even with all our predators I still decided it was more advantageous for me to brood outside than inside.
Thank you! :) When you mention lid do you mean sold wire to protect them from a cat (only predators we have) or by something more solid and not transparent like a piece of wood or metal, just need some clarification. Guessing wire as it would be easier to set up and run the brooder pad.

Back
Top Bottom