Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Pics
Thanks to both of you for your replies and the helpful tips. My apologies for being impatient on a reply. It's like raising most things, trial by fire.
fl.gif

Hmmmm, I guess dumb questions aren't answered on here
th.gif
Nope not dumb at all, spring is busy for me. There are some days I don't get to be on the forum at all.
you have got some good answers already, I kept my birds penned about a month, then started with a small group at a time.
When I decided to free range them, I only feed at early evening. Call my ginnnie ginnie noise, and give them millet and dinner.
If you train them to a call sound, then feed them they associate food with it fast. Problem solved. Just train them to a call before before they free range.

Last edited:
I have read several articles that Guineas go in the roads to get grit. Buy grit at your feed store and scatter in near their food or somewhere away from the road.
wesheeww... I feel a why did the guinea cross the road joke coming on....
big_smile.png
no really thankfully we live on a dead end road...my kids always cross the road to go to the creek and play in the shade and tallgrass. I hate when cars speed up my road. if someone comes to my door someday to tell me they hit one of my birds, do i have the right to aask them to let one of their kids stand inthe road while i speedc my car up it? seriously. theyr my kids too.

Nope not dumb at all, spring is busy for me. There are some days I don't get to be on the forum at all.
you have got some good answers already, I kept my birds penned about a month, then started with a small group at a time.
When I decided to free range them, I only feed at early evening. Call my ginnnie ginnie noise, and give them millet and dinner.
If you train them to a call sound, then feed them they associate food with it fast. Problem solved. Just train them to a call before before they free range.
a good point. I didnt do that with mine quite... i do the chick chick call for all my birds at pen up time. I have considered treat training them though. I also use a horse lunge whip to corral them. It doesnt touch them it just makes a snap noise that moves them quicker. it probably looks cruel but i also use it as an extension of my aarms to change direction when herding them. I would never ever hit my birds. ever. they mostly free range all day long then come home of their own accord at dusk. we also have eagles hawks and a huge white owl around. last week i was in the yard with my three broody hens and their 7 chicks all under a month old and i looked up to see an enormous grey bird flapping towards us. my husband said it was a female bald eagle. she easily had a wingspan of over six feet and she had chicken dinner on the menu. Luckily my birds alerted to her and hid, even the tiny babies. never a dull moment here.

So I'm down to five of these little bug eaters, but they seem to be doin alright, they are increasing their feeding range to include a few of my neighbors, but I think they get the idea to keep their eyes on the skies. I think after I get my chicks in, im gonna order a bunch of em
big_smile.png
Hi shelly
I dont know if you are familiar with guineas or new to them, but i have learned that they like large groups for safety....they get skittish when their flock is too small and will often pair up with neiighbors flocks for company and safety....I had to band mine's legs as my neighbor also has guineas and was scared mine would get mixed up with theirs and wouldnt know whos where who.

When we got our first three guinea keets my daughter would call them flapping her elbows and sometimes arms and say "begawk begawk beeawk beeawk" None of us knew at the time that that is the sound they actually make! It was bizarre but very cool! Almost like she knew! Years later they still come when she does that!

When we got our first three guinea keets my daughter would call them flapping her elbows and sometimes arms and say "begawk begawk beeawk beeawk" None of us knew at the time that that is the sound they actually make! It was bizarre but very cool! Almost like she knew! Years later they still come when she does that!
HI STARKASM!!!! YOur back! man did i miss you.... my keets are all grown now, and laying eggs. whew. still try to tame them like you said your daughter did. Granny hatchett said to be patient that you would come back but i have been dying to ask you guinea questions. my kids still dont lay eggs where i want. out in the forest. in fact lost a hen when she sat on a nest. never found so much as a feather. my baby. still though have 9 of the original 11 keets. Cabo is my little man. like your Tick. mine is Guiness. he is the lead rooster Guinea. sorry cant call them a cock. just doesnt sound right. hatched 7 banties llast month and all goes good. hey hope everything is good with you, we missed you around here.... come back ok.

HI STARKASM!!!! YOur back! man did i miss you.... my keets are all grown now, and laying eggs. whew. still try to tame them like you said your daughter did. Granny hatchett said to be patient that you would come back but i have been dying to ask you guinea questions. my kids still dont lay eggs where i want. out in the forest. in fact lost a hen when she sat on a nest. never found so much as a feather. my baby. still though have 9 of the original 11 keets. Cabo is my little man. like your Tick. mine is Guiness. he is the lead rooster Guinea. sorry cant call them a cock. just doesnt sound right. hatched 7 banties llast month and all goes good. hey hope everything is good with you, we missed you around here.... come back ok.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom