Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Hi, I'm new to BackYardChickens and raising chickens and guineas. Need help.
I have a young guinea pair, probably about 8mos old, and just discovered today, Jan 16, that the hen has a nest at the edge of the woods with at least 13 eggs. We will have below zero wind chill in my part of Indiana for the next few days. Both guineas roost in the corner of the unheated garage with the other chickens in a makeshift pen. What can I do, if anything to save the eggs? Thanks.
Welcome to BYC!
Also please feel to join other hoosiers here Indiana BYC'ers HERE!

@perchie.girl has a good point, if you have access to an incubator thats the best bet. If not, its better to gather the eggs than risk losing the hen. She will be laying more, and hopefully in better weather!

Your Guinea hen has not finished laying so she will choose a new nest when she looses her eggs. Pen her up for a week or so - until she quits laying or you will have the same problem again and this time you might not find her nest before she starts incubating.

They r too noisy for neighbors. They also like to roost in trees... So if you don't have trees and your neighbors do... That's where you'll find em.

You are welcome. Good luck. I think my pair here in Laos are about to lay so I plan to pen them for a while. Trouble is male can jump/flutter over a 5 foot+ fence. Hen seems to be heavy in the rear and her skirts hang low.

My gunieas choose to stay out in their tree instead of going in their little shed. I feel so bad for them because they r put in the cold... But reading all the posts, you guys are freezing. Mine r out in about 28 degree weather. I am in the high desert of Calif .. Below 70 is cold to me! My birds look hearty and well ... Do you think they will know when it's time to go inside?

My gunieas choose to stay out in their tree instead of going in their little shed. I feel so bad for them because they r put in the cold... But reading all the posts, you guys are freezing. Mine r out in about 28 degree weather. I am in the high desert of Calif .. Below 70 is cold to me! My birds look hearty and well ... Do you think they will know when it's time to go inside?

they will be fine physically.... temperature wise. I am in the high desert near the border No real trees except low desert trees. Bobcats will go right up a tree for take out.. speaking from experience

deb

Last edited:
Thanks Deb! This might sound strange but my tree is growing inside my penned in area. We put corrugated metal roof panels and cut around the trunk. I was gonn remove part of the roof so they could go free range and then come back... But now that you say "bobcat" .. I didn't think of that. I have a fox in my yard and a skunk so hummmm... I think I'm gonna put an electric fence around my field. Thanks for adding something to think about. Pinky

Hey guys, I'm wanting to start raising Guineas I have chickens ducks and pheasants and quail. Are Guineas really noisy all the time are just sometimes? If I let them free range will they come back? I have acres of woods. They eat the same food as chickens right? Any other useful information will be most appreciated thanks in advance !

Back
Top Bottom