Ramp vs stairs

MakoMark

Chirping
Mar 22, 2023
I'm getting close to completing my coop and time to make a ramp. I've noticed some of the Carolina coops have small stair cases instead of ramps. I can build either one and have many small pieces of 2x4 left over. I like the look of the stairs better then the ramps but not sure which the chickens will like better? Is 6 in height for the stairs ok? 🤔

Did you go 45 degrees or more like 60?
Old ramp was maybe 40-degrees at first, then I put a cinder block under the end to lessen it. It was attached using hooks and eye bolts, so it could be quickly removed when doing maintenance:
View media item 7954372
New ladder/stairs are an irregular shape from branches to save as much floor space as possible for making a better landing zone off the overhead roosts, and for human walking space:

Yeah, I don't like it. Mine handle a few outdoor steps made for humans well, but a ramp would be better here. Or greatly decrease the grade.
OK after watching the video realized my 45 degree steps were not very good. I had screwed them together so easy task to change the angle to 30 degrees. I needed to extend the steps so I tied the upper steps to the roof with vertical 2x4, then hinged the lower section to the upper.
20230426_170427.jpg
When it comes time to clean the run, I'll just flip up the lower part and rake the entire floor .

OK after watching the video realized my 45 degree steps were not very good. I had screwed them together so easy task to change the angle to 30 degrees. I needed to extend the steps so I tied the upper steps to the roof with vertical 2x4, then hinged the lower section to the upper. View attachment 3483538When it comes time to clean the run, I'll just flip up the lower part and rake the entire floor .
Glad you're open to the feedback. And you seem quite handy, stop by anytime.

One of the things I have been dreading but I made my humble attempt to predator proof my new coop/run today, if there is such a thing.
Every day I work on my coop and post what I've done, only to find out how I could have done it better, I have no trouble with feedback.
So I filled all the gaps with pt wood and put 1/2 in pvc hwc 24 in around the outside. The plan is to cover with top soil and plant grass, maybe some heavy potted plant until it grows in. I was going to put 2x3 but when I changed the design it left me with enough to use the hwc.
I do have rats from the cranberry bogs behind my house, also raccoons. Hawks and eagles, I do have moles but don't know if they are a problem.
20230427_182706.jpg

I used to have a ramp, replaced it with a ladder/staircase because it saved me a lot of floor space (it was an 8ft ramp due to the chicken door being ~4ft off the ground) and I prefer the aesthetics of how I made it a non-traditional shape. I did used to see feet slip on the ramp due to the steep angle, it had traction rungs every 6". No issues with the ladder, even for a bantam silkie - 6" rise on the treads shouldn't be an issue for any birds except for chicks that likely wouldn't have access to them yet anyways.

Back
Top Bottom