Rapid growth on the head of rooster

Apr 6, 2022
Hi all,
I was wondering if some of you would be willing to give advice on a growth that occurred on the head of my silkie rooster.
He is about 5 years old, and and has gradually developed this growth on his face over the last two months. At first it was a slight bump, but has now progressed into a large cyst-like swelling that has began to obscure his vision and even appears to cause some foaming in his eyes. While the other side of his face is normal and healthy, this 'faulty side' seems to prevent him from properly focusing on anything to his right, and within the last few days his nasal cavity has filled with a yellow gunk. While he seems otherwise healthy and remains lively, I'm concerned for his vision and possibility of his condition worsening. Is there a known condition he could have and could there be any existing treatment that could be administered?

Any form feedback is helpful! :)
1649223647394.jpeg
1649223700774.jpeg
1649223734505.jpeg

Wow, that is quite the protrusion. Poor guy!
I would be concerned about a respiratory infection. Symptoms are facial swelling, nasal or ocular drainage. He does have some of those symptoms. Does anyone else in your flock have any of these symptoms? If not, than that may help cross that off the list since he wouldn't be the only one with the issue.

Last edited:
That does look like a sinus infection and it probably needs to be lanced.
Sinus Infection Removal in a Peafowl

Sinus Infection Removal in a Peafowl

Written by George Conner (connerhills) George Connor Rest in Peace Sinus Infection Removal in a Peafowl Blue pied male, owned by Caroline, She brought the bird over to learn how to get this cut out, and is doing the procedure. The patient with a Sinus infection that has grown and hardened and...

Is a vet an option?

It looks like a respiratory disease with a sinus infection. There is solid puss inside his sinuses, and I’s surprised that he can breathe in the right nostril. The pus needs to be removed. Antibiotics such as Baytril or sulfadimethoxine may also be needed. It could be coryza or severe MG. A vet would be helpful. Here are some graphic videos of removing pus:

Back
Top Bottom