Rare Blue Fawn Rouens

If the duck in fact has heterozygous incompletely dominant blue then there is no way that this came from 2 wild coloured Rouens.

Doesn't look like our Rouen to me.

Sorry, off topic! Hi! I think I've seen you on Instagram! You folks are raising Saxonies right?

Okay sorry. Back to the thread at hand!
1f600.png

Well, you are obviously going to believe a lady that sold you some hatching eggs in a parking lot rather than taking advantage of the wealth of knowledge that can be found here from long time breeders such as myself that have been breeding rare colored ducks for 15 years. Congratulations on you rare ducks.

They were picked up as 4 WEEK OLD DUCKLINGS.
Please stop assuming. Thank you.

Sorry, off topic! Hi! I think I've seen you on Instagram! You folks are raising Saxonies right?

Okay sorry. Back to the thread at hand!
1f600.png

Lol! No, probably not. My instagram is private. I have 2 Rouens, and 2 (Blue Fawn?) Rouens. Might add Muscovies to the mix and just build them a temporary outside pen for at night, and let them free range during the day. (don't want mule ducks)
Off topic, but anyway, nope, no Saxonies. :D

I think there's a little confusion in here that's contributing to not being able to identify the breed for sure. Were these hatched four weeks after the saxony died, or were they laid four weeks after the saxony died? You've said both in this thread. I think clearing that up will help. At any rate they are very pretty and it will be cool to see what kind of offspring they throw.

I also wanted to post this in here for you to compare to. It's another member's runner/rouen cross.

37890_normans_kid_001.jpg

Runner crosses don't always have an upright stance, especially if the breeder's runners didn't have a good stance themselves. This is a runner cross:

He doesn't stand upright.

Can you ask the breeder if they have blue fawn rouens? A spontaneous mutation can happen and is how most colors come about, but it's very rare and twice in the same hatch would be extremely unlikely.

Last edited:
I think there's a little confusion in here that's contributing to not being able to identify the breed for sure. Were these hatched four weeks after the saxony died, or were they laid four weeks after the saxony died? You've said both in this thread. I think clearing that up will help. At any rate they are very pretty and it will be cool to see what kind of offspring they throw.

I also wanted to post this in here for you to compare to. It's another member's runner/rouen cross.

37890_normans_kid_001.jpg

Runner crosses don't always have an upright stance, especially if the breeder's runners didn't have a good stance themselves. This is a runner cross:

He doesn't stand upright.

Can you ask the breeder if they have blue fawn rouens? A spontaneous mutation can happen and is how most colors come about, but it's very rare and twice in the same hatch would be extremely unlikely.

I can ask the breeder. I can ask her more about the Saxony later too.
She had 6 week old ducklings with a Saxony cross, the Saxony hen (may have) brooded those, but she died at least during the hatching period, maybe when they were born. The breeder may have used an incubator, I'm not sure.
As ducklings my "blue fawns" we're grey with black markings like a silver phased Rouen. There were three out of 8-10 Rouen ducklings.
I had a Rouen cross already from her; he stood just as upright as the textbook Runner, but was mallard (grey) coloured. Another Runner cross was fawn and white, very upright too .
She had 1 saxony hen, maybe 1 Runner hen, and the drakes were males.

I am having trouble following this, what do you mean by a silver phased Rouen? If the female was a Saxony and the drake was Rouen or atleast wild mallard colour then all of the ducklings would be split for light phase + heterozygous completely dominant blue.

If you are saying that not all of the ducklings were heterozygous for blue then this couldn't be from a saxony, but rather a blue trout or blue fawn, something with heterozygous incompletely dominant blue.

Last edited:
I am having trouble following this, what do you mean by a silver phased Rouen?  If the female was a Saxony and the drake was Rouen or atleast wild mallard colour then all of the ducklings would be split for light phase + heterozygous completely dominant blue. 

If you are saying that not all of the ducklings were heterozygous for blue then this couldn't be from a saxony, but rather a blue trout or blue fawn, something with heterozygous incompletely dominant blue.

Sorry, was that Chinese? :p
I don't understand this special talk. I don't go down to specifics. Not all of the ducklings were a silver phase. By silver phase, I mean blue fawn- they had light silver down sections where the others had yellow, and the black markings remained the same.

Back
Top Bottom