Rare Central & South American (& South Pacific) Breeds

pop.gif
Watching.. waiting... it's like a great book. Love it. I wish I had enough experience to even try eggs of this caliber.

pop.gif
Watching.. waiting... it's like a great book. Love it. I wish I had enough experience to even try eggs of this caliber.
Now that's just silly. These are, after all, just chickens. They require essentially what all of your other chickens require, with the exception that they do respond better with a bit of supplementation. They do require more handling from hatch to respond to interaction with people, in some cases. BUT, they are lovely fowl with wonderful personalities and make an excellent episode of chicken TV when you take a moment to kick back and hang out. :)

The eggs may actually be EASIER to hatch than other breeds if the mommas are getting the right nutrition- a BYCer who got eggs from me currently has 100% development, and I've had 100% hatches in far flung states despite shipping.

Double-boxing the eggs prior to shipping does help, but it's really a combination of factors, and I believe these have mad kung-fu moves and come out raring for life!!

Today I'll be separating breeding pairs again. I've got enough composites for hatching and want to have selected couples' offspring. I'll be begging Yashar for a shipment soon...

Last edited:
I only had a few birds with yellow legs, and they were never used in the South American breeding. And all my stock of Quechua never showed up with yellow legs.
Definitely seems to be a winter face on Bandit...
Looks like we'll have to wait to find out who pays child support....

~Yashar

Yashar & all: My eggs hatched yesterday! The original order was 1/2 doz each of SPQ & Colloncas and all of them that made it to lockdown hatched! So I ended up with 10 chicks in all- 6 SPQ and 4 Colloncas. They are vigorous healthy chicks, although I am not entirely sure which is which because they all hatched together. Here are some pics. Also any advice on sexing these types? I plan to keep them all unless there is a huge amount of boys, I feel lucky to own such rare breeds so full of history! My favorites so far are the real dark stripey one with mostly velvety black in the front, and the yellowish bluish one.

Okay I am working on posting the pics...

~Yashar,

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "winter face'? lol, and how does it differ from any other face?

ChooksChicks,

These may be "just chickens", lol, but they seem to be some with a humongo survival instinct! From everything I have been able to find to read, they are definitely "not Silkies" or any of the more domesticated breeds.....and I know they arent supposed to be. I think thats what attracted me to them(after I found some miraculously in my possession). My favorite breed of dog is not standardized and pretty primitive/instinctual, why not my favorite breed of chickens! LOL, of course, I guess mine arent really a breed, since as Yashar said, we are still waiting to see who will pay chick support(btw Yashar, DH loved that!). But I agree, these birds are some of the most hardy and self-sufficient birds. Lol, if you are waiting on them, they will probably be in the next coop over laying eggs or down at the woods hanging out<grin>. I am really enjoying these two. They are soooo different in personality from all the other chicks. Definitely keeping an eye out in their new digs. All nine older chicks came home with me last night! Rhonda has chicks comin' out of her ears! There were 15-17 when I left yesterday, with only the Marans left in incubator.....and she had been up for nearly 24 hours imprinting each one of them. Lol, what a mom!

Yashar

Ah, I was just rereading, or rather finishing reading a thread that Resolution had written, about the Kiri-Kiri, Nikkei, etc. Now I know what a winter face is...lol, I knew I had read the term before but didnt remember where or the meaning of the term. A winter face will be a good thing here in Western Oregon. We dont get as cold as the Eastern side of the state, nor as much snow, but we do get LOTS of cold rain(it took going to Alaska in the summer for me to know what a "warm" rain was!)! People come here for the lush greenery, never thinking about the 7-9 months of rain/precipitation it takes to make it so lush and green. What a depressing surprise for some!

Anyway, I think I need to start writing things down. I read things on here, getting knowledge from different threads and then it gets all mixed up....

So Yashar, is it correct that the South American breeds you have are not of the Mapuche, but from peoples further north in Chile and elsewhere? If so, that would mean that Bandit and Lavender's ancestors are from different parts of South America....the Nikkei from the southern/tip of South America and the Black Quechua Olmec from further north for their momma and ??yet to be determined for a pappa. Just trying to get this straight....

Oh, sorry, I just realized that this is an auction thread and we have sort of hi-jacked it. Is there somewhere else we should take this?

LOL, and on that note, how removed are your lines, Yashar, from ChooksChick's lines? As I am seeing some pssibilities.

Last edited:
... So I ended up with 10 chicks in all- 6 SPQ and 4 Colloncas. They are vigorous healthy chicks, although I am not entirely sure which is which because they all hatched together. Here are some pics. Also any advice on sexing these types?...

The colloncas should not have that nub on their be-hind. You can actually feel a little "hole" in the last vertebrae with the tip of your finger. SPQ will have a little something to pinch (well, maybe not quite yet). Also, I don't think any of the Colloncas will be stripped.

You'll have to wait until they're a few months old to sex them.
Unless of course you do the "hydro method of determining gender." That's the one where you throw them in a lake. If they sink after 2 minutes they are hens and if they float they are rooters. It's similar to finding out if someone is a witch or not.

~Yashar

Back
Top Bottom