Rare chicken breeds desired for their meat qualities?

Our Roost

Songster
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
ScottsVille, michigan

BYC has done an outstanding job of discussing some very important information related to raising chickens for meat but has not specifically discussed what breeds of the hundreds available, were actually bred for their meat quality and table fare. As you explore the history behind some select breeds you will find some were truly bred for the table and not their egg production. In fact, some birds were prized for their delicacy of taste and meat quantity. In Europe, some restaurants owners pride their menus with chicken delicacies of a few select breeds not available here in the United States! So what chicken breeds would you really use to create or use for a meat bird you might ask? With the current issues surrounding the cornish x cross, a suitable replacement is well into discussion from the FDA and it well should be. Many breeders and hobbyists are searching for the same answers.
A select number of breeds have better meat qualities than all others. Of the hundreds of breeds available, these are what we have to work with if unless you have the aspiration to play with genetics and crossbreeding. On the other hand, you may be happy with what has already been created for you!
You wont find a list of meat birds other than some basic heritage breeds or a list of fryers suggested by local hatcheries and feed stores! You are going to have to dig a little or lot deeper both into your reading and your pocket to acquire both some knowledge and a source to acquire a good chicken breed stock to work with as a choice for your future meat bird of choice.
How about a list of breeds specifically prized and bred for their meat qualities, such as the Mechel/Malines, Bielefelders, dark cornish, bresse, dorking, and oh so many others. What are you using if anything? Besides recipes, have any of you perfected a good meat breed?The picture posted is for presentation purposes only and is not my stock.It is a beautiful Malines flock with a cockerel roo in the foreground.

Last edited:
29 lookers and no one has any response or input.
sad.png

I'm quite interested in this also. Maybe a Light Sussex. Taste wise it is delicious. (hear say) Another breed I'm interested in is the Basque. It is supposed to be like a beige looking delaware. Super friendly. Good in heat and cold. I have both types of eggs in the 'bator. We'll see. A friend raises only Plymouth White Rocks.
big_smile.png

Not familiar with these breeds except their names that come to mind. I will do some reading on where they originated from and the background on what they were bred for. Eggs or meat, or both?

Last edited:
Not familiear with these breeds except their names that come to mind. I will do some reading on where they originated from and the background on what they were bred for. Eggs or meat, or both?

Both actually. The Basques are supposed to do 4-5 a wk. Not sure about eggs on Lt Sussex I believe 180-200 yr

How about New Hampshires or Delawares. Can't go wrong on them. Grow fast. Get big.

Last edited:
Okay, done some reading. You have my attention on the Basque. Its not common here in the states as stated. Comes from Spain?Importing would be difficult to say the least. Do you have eggs for shipping? Ha ha. Please read up on Mechel/Malines breed. MalinesMechels Club of North America.com will get you to a private club with photos. I think you will be pressed to look into these further. I have eggs currently in incubator praying for a good hatch.

Okay, done some reading. You have my attention on the Basque. Its not common here in the states as stated. Comes from Spain?Importing would be difficult to say the least. Do you have eggs for shipping? Ha ha. Please read up on Mechel/Malines breed. MalinesMechels Club of North America.com will get you to a private club with photos. I think you will be pressed to look into these further. I have eggs currently in incubator praying for a good hatch.

Yeah, I ordered my from Pa and I'm in La. Wrong time of the year to order. that far. They are in the incubator. Hope some hatch.
lau.gif

There is a wonderful thread on the Basques here. Check it out.

Last edited:
Marans are good sized, dual purpose birds. Not like a Cornish though. They are considered a delicacy in France where the breed originates, for their meat, and just gorgeous, dark brown eggs. Friends who have seen our dark brown eggs in person seem intrigued by the dark shells. Martha Stewart likes Marans eggs as well.

PA meaning Pennsyvania? If they were packaged well and it wasn't too hot when shipped, you may have sucess if you let them rest for the proper amount of time. Wishing you luck on that. Mine came from Canada and I am going to experience the same. Do you have the link to follow more on this breed?

I don't have Marans as yet, and well know about their beautiful eggs. Meat is a bonus with them and a better choice than eating crow. It wouldnt be at the top of my list but certainly desrves some merit.

Back
Top Bottom