Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Are RIR bantams considered rare? Or uncommon?
Good ones with flat top lines are very very rare. The ones with back that look like PLymouth Rocks or New Hampshires are pretty plentefull.

You just have to decide what strain you want to get.

This is a ongong problem about 25 years that was started by a strain out of North Carolina and got into many strains of good ones over the last 20 years.

That is what you get when you cross strains. You intorduce some trait that can stick with the line for years and screw every buddy elses birds up.

We have seen humps in large fowl Red Females and we can not figure where they came from as we never saw this in the last 100 years.

I am for buddy line breeding systems of one strain and breeding them up to the standard. Its faster and cheaper in large fowl. bob

I saw some very nice Light Sussex large fowl this weekend. The lady told me she got them out of Kentucky. One judge told me a pullet was the best he ever saw. She will mate this pullet to the best male he picked out for her. He breeds Speckled Sussex large fowl from Iowa. They are not as rare as the lights but rare. bob

i beleive the houdan is very rare! i had one but he was killed by a hawk
hit.gif

Hello,
Do you still have Bantam Lakenvelder and Vorwerk? I am in Germany right now and they have some really nice birds. I am looking for someone in America that has them. Thank you.
Dave

I did not read through the whole thread so maybe these have already been mentioned:
Sulmtaler (an Austrian breed)
Appenzeller Barthühner (a Swiss breed), not to be confused with Appenzeller Spitzhauben.

Both breeds have not been in the US prior to 2011 (to my knowledge). I can tell you more about them if anybody is interested. I own original imports of both.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom