Rattlesnake!

jennyb

Songster
9 Years
Aug 17, 2013
Big fat viper under a Rubbermaid lid in the yard, slithered under the enclosed wooden coop. We’ve had oak snakes steal eggs but not lately (Saw on security cam) because we closed up holes. I have two traps I’ve used to get non-venomous snakes in. What bait for a rattler? Suggestions? Not inclined to relocate this varmint. How to eliminate it? What if there are dozens under there? Second viper in 30 years, north Florida. Too dry in this area for water moc, not near any pond or lake. (About a mile away)

jen

I move the venomous snakes out of the way, usually just a hundred feet or so. Kids told to be on their toes during warm weather in particular. To eliminate / kill it, use a long-handled garden tool and be certain to smash head and avoid head when disposing to carcass.

Mine are after suitably sized rodents rather than eggs or chickens. One of my dogs has a penchant for killing Copperheads and often gets bit in process.

This time of year I doubt you have large numbers in a single location.

Also in north Florida. Around here canebreaks and the dominant rattler. I agree they aren’t a huge threat to the adult flock or eggs. I don’t see why they wouldn’t take bitties if they could, that’s close enough to bobwhite quail. Major danger to your family though. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. The snake is a biological landmine. Step to close and it might blow up on you whether you’re a real threat to it or not. If you see the snake more than once, or see it once and separately find a skin on another occasion , its not just passing thru. It will live there as long as there is a food source.

Are you in a position to shoot it? Rat shot in a powerful caliber like .357 can wreck a snake’s day while you stay at a safe distance.

We have timber rattlers here. I have caught and relocated a couple in a 5 gal bucket with a lid.
Call animal control. My grandmother had a eastern diamondback under her porch in fl. In 30 min a guy was there to search for it. He ended up finding it under the tool shed and took it away.

Dont kill it. I get its dangerous,very, but keep on guard and have a professional take it away if you don't feel comfortable yourself. I have captured hundreds of xnakes in my lifetime but only a dozen or so venomous ones, mostly copperheads and a few timber rats. My heart still races when dealing with danger.

We have timber rattlers here. I have caught and relocated a couple in a 5 gal bucket with a lid.
Call animal control. My grandmother had a eastern diamondback under her porch in fl. In 30 min a guy was there to search for it. He ended up finding it under the tool shed and took it away.

Dont kill it. I get its dangerous,very, but keep on guard and have a professional take it away if you don't feel comfortable yourself. I have captured hundreds of xnakes in my lifetime but only a dozen or so venomous ones, mostly copperheads and a few timber rats. My heart still races when dealing with danger.
I totally agree!

This.

get a .22 or somebody who has one and ping it.... and are you west or east north fl... and moccasins dont neccasarily live by water they like it but dont have to have it if your 1 mile away from water your plenty close enough to have cotton mouths.........

Back
Top Bottom