Rattlesnakes? Kill or scare away?

chicamama03

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
barnie.gif

They're back. As I walked the trail behind my house to survey the new goat paddock I'm fencing in I *a;most* stepped on a big rattlesnake (well, about 4'. but that's big to me). He was ticked and rattled for, like, 10 minutes while I slowly walked backwards and said my "Hail Mary's".

Crud. They're scary, but more importantly, this bugger did not slither away in fear, he held his own PO'D at ME. Even when he stopped rattling, he glared at me in a stand off. He would not let me pass. I had to walk all the way around the trail (about 1/8 mile) to get back to my front door. The brush was too thick to go wide around him/her and then I thought, "well what if they is a nest or ?".

Ack.

For every rattler you see, you don't see the other ten that went on their merry way through your property. And since nature abhors a vacuum, killing one won't do anything. Honestly, they'd rather not mess with you. I've seen my fair share of them, and I leave them alone, and they go on their way.

I know what I'd do but it isn't politically correct...

Do you live on a farm? If so, I'd fence the area in an get (even borrow if you have to) a bunch of hogs. Hogs eat snakes and don't seem to have a problem with the poison... We had a large pig farm when I was a kid and never had problems with snakes even though others in the area seemed to...???

Dave

Well, first, I would make doubly sure my chickens/ducks were secure.

But, honestly, those snakes want absolutely nothing to do with you. So, as long as you're not sticking your hands into dark holes/brush or walking off the path where you can't see your feet, you should be OK. However, if they become a threat to you or start to invade your home, carport/garage or coops, then you will either have to kill them yourself or call animal control to come get them.

ETA: If you come across one on the trail like you did, just back away and he will slither off. They sometimes don't want to move right away because they don't want you to come after them, so they stay still and even sometimes play dead. If you move away, he will go and hide as soon as he feels safe.

Last edited:
March 19th, my sweet little dacshund/terrier mix was bitten by a rattlesnake. She never saw it. Was running through the woods, and ran right over it. She ran to me screaming in pain, and died in my daughter's arms, while I was racing to the vet, trying to save my sweet baby's life. I am now on a personal vendetta to kill any rattlesnake that shows it's face, or rattles to me. This little dog was the best little chicken loving, chicken friendly dog you could ever want. My first chickies, I brooded in my bathtub. She would get in there with them, and let them peck all over her. Later on, when I'd ask her "Where are the chicks?", she'd cock her head to one side, wag that tail, and head to the bathroom. Even long after they were outside.... Sorry, it hasn't been long enough for me to be over it yet.... The only good rattlesnake is a dead rattlesnake. Just ask people in Claxton, Ga., where they have a rattlesnake round-up every year....

RIP sweet Misty girl.... Sniffin' chicken butts in heaven..

GAchick I am so so sorry
hugs.gif
RIP sweet Misty.

chicamama . You can spread sulphur around the perimeter...snakes will not cross it because it burns their bellies and underside...but you have to do it constantly because the elements deteriorate it with time. Spring time means babies....and mama's are vicious no matter what time. Be careful. Carry a shovel or something with you.

Back
Top Bottom