Raw goat's milk RAVE

Quote:
I haven't gone thru all ten pages yet, but I wanted to let you know that YES you can drink goats milk. I can't have cow's milk in any form. When I was a kid they didn't have lactaid or anything of that nature yet, so I had to drink goat's milk, eat goat's cheese, goat's milk yogurt, etc.

I still use it to this day.

I wanted to add after further reading I am completely lactose intolerant. I can't digest it. The pills do not help me. So, if you are truely lactose intolerant like myself, you can have goats milk.

Bluemoon

Last edited:
Bluemoon I would be willing to bet it is not lactose but casein that you are allergic too. Raw milk still contains lactase that counters the lactose in the digestion process.

Quote:
barnie.gif
th.gif
hit.gif
WHAT?!
hit.gif
th.gif
barnie.gif

I drink at least a gallon of store bought cow milk a week, often more! Now I'm a-scared...
hide.gif

I am so glad that someone has brought this up, Robert Rodale said back in the day and I am talking probably the 50's and 60's that the cow's milk wasn't good for anything but the calf. My chiropractor, who is into nutrition BIG time told me that the dairy products made from cow's milk is what is causing us to have so many heart issues in this country,because it makes our arteries like sandpaper and THAT is what catches the clots and makes us have heart attacks and so forth . . . our body naturally produces cholesterol, but the dairy products causes the actual problems with it. . .how much does a gallon of goat's milk sell for? I heard of a woman in my area who has bought nanny goats because she thinks she can get $15 a gallon for it. . .

You are quite correct in this statement if you add the fact that the reference to artery damage and heart conditions is based on "pasteurized product". Homogenization makes this effect even worse. Raw does not have this effect.

It is 3 am in the morning. . . . I can't sleep, so I find myself
caf.gif
. I raised my children on raw milk, both cow and goat. Personally, I prefer goat's milk over cow's milk for drinking and pudding. But, for cheeses and the cream for butter, I prefer cow's milk.

Something that was brought up, goaty taste..... I didn't see anyone mention that it is very necessary to keep the breeding buck out of the facilities that milking does are housed in. We kept Nubians when we lived in VA. No matter how diligent we were after our milk was 24 hours old it developed an "off" flavor. Our chickens didn't seem to mind though, so they got any extra milk we had.

Then, after the buck goat got older, bigger, more obstinant, and I got tired of his manners, he got his own living quarters. 50 yards from the milking does. Within a couple of week, not only did the barn smell better, but, we noticed the "off" flavor in the milk was GONE !
wee.gif

Now, before anyone gets excited about the buck being in solitary confinement, he wasn't. We built onto the side of his shed and that is where the bottle kids were housed. The doelings went to the milking barn when they were about 4 months old. The castrated males stayed in the 'Boy's' shed until they were sold or butchered.

We purposely planned the breeding of the does so we had milk all year long. We bred the older does in the fall and the younger does in late winter. So, the buck always had company in the barn.

Last edited:
Enola, I was reading through this waiting to see if anyone would say that, if you hadn't, I would have.
tongue.png

I have never noticed a 'goaty' flavor in our raw milk, unless we have the bucks penned near or with the does. Otherwise, its been fine.

In my opinion, of all the goat milk I've had, milk from the Nubians has been the best because of the higher butterfat content.

Now if only they would change raw milk laws!

I keep my bucks away but at this time of year the weeds in the pasture are a big part of taste problem but the availability and cost of hay makes it a nessicity (sp) to let them graze the hip high pastures.

Quote:
Maybe it's both. My Dad told me stories about how I was very ill when I was born, and they couldn't figure it out. I was hospitalized in Boston for 6 months. He said he just gotten home from his 1st tour in Vietnam, and couldn't bare to see me in an oxygen tent. He said I was born late, but only weighed 4 lbs.
He also told me they didn't have baby formula back then and I was allergic to breast milk, and milk in any other form they offered. He's not sure they offered goats milk, but probably not. They ended up giving me liquid jello in a bottle. ( probably why I hate jello to this day) The doctors told him it was lactose intolerance, milk allergy.
As I got older whatever I was allergic to got worse. The doctor said no cow's milk, or anything containing cow's milk. Everytime I had something with that in it, it made me VERY ill. That's when they started giving me goats milk which I did fine with. I just generally stay away from any cow milk products.

I forgot to add, My daughter was lactose intolerant as a child. She grew out of it. So, maybe that's why. I never grew out of whatever I have.
Bluemoon

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom