How to price ND goats

ThePhoebeFive

My good opinion once lost, is lost forever.
12 Years
Apr 7, 2011
South Carolina
Would anybody on here be willing to give some pointers on how to price Nigerian Dwarf kids? Their parents are registered, and the babies are registrable, good milking lines, but nothing fancy or from champion lines. The idea is really just to try and make enough to pay for feed, meds, vet, and bedding so my family can reap the benefits of fresh, raw goat milk.

It will depend on your area. but I'll tell you about mine. In my area the market is pretty saturated with NDs. There are folks that will sell unregistered or mixes for cheap which can make it a bit harder to sell the registerable ones from known good lines, because people that haven't done their research won't understand why they are worth more. My does are probably above average on confirmation (I'm still learning) and good or great milkers and my bucks are from great milking/show lines with good confirmation. So I'd say my kids are probably above what you'd find from most of the backyard breeders in my area.

Anyway, I band all my bucklings and only sell as wethers. They've gone for $50-80. I usually price them higher to start because the really cute ones will go fairly quickly as pets. Also gives you more wiggle room in negotiating. I've seen people try to sell them for up to $150 but I don't think that's a very fair price.

For the doelings, most go for $300; which is pretty close to the market average in my area for registerable doelings. I have tried selling the ones from my best milker for a bit more but I haven't had much luck on that aspect. I generally price them based on their parents not their looks. However, I also don't lower my price on those I know will sell well, like blue eyes or lots of moonspots. I will give discounts if they get multiples (I don't sell singles unless they already have goats). If someone has made it to my place and wants to pick up more I'll generally accept a lower price if it's reasonable. I'd rather sell for $200 then chance it not selling and I have to keep paying for feed.

One last thing. I don't register the kids unless I'm keeping them in my herd. I give the buyer the registration form filled out with their birth info and my herd name. That way I don't pay registration fees, I don't have a bunch of goats not in my herd under my name, and the buyer gets to pick the name. Makes things easier.

Thank you so much! That helps a lot!

As far as not registering the babies, that confirms what we were thinking. Plus, ADGA and AGS being so slow lately we decided to let the buyer go through that hassel on their own. 😆

I start out at a base price and generally accept lower offers once the buyers come to see them.

This year my base prices are $400 (doe), $300 (buck), and $150 (wether), but I do a $50 discount for multiples ($50 off each additional goat). My herd is double registered with ADGA and AGS, and disease tested negative for CAE, Johnes, and CL. Last year I lucked out, after I sold a few doelings to a friend, her neighbor decided that she really wanted goats as well. The neighbor came and bought all 4 wethers I had for a base price of $400 :woot

It works for me only because people in my area with try to lowball your price no matter what you’re selling, and no matter what the price is 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom