Red feathers on Black Australorp?

Oddly enough, today the same hen in question.. crowed. Definitely doesn't look like a rooster, but it crowed.

Also, it's developing red on it's feathers, so there's that.

Oddly enough, today the same hen in question.. crowed. Definitely doesn't look like a rooster, but it crowed.

If it's crowing, I think Kev is correct and it's a rooster. While hens do rarely crow, it's almost always a hen over two years old that has assumed the role of the rooster in a roosterless flock.

Typing mistake, I meant to say it's developing red on it's wings now.

Post a current photo?
Red on the wings and crowing both point to cockerel.
Sorry it took me this long. I took this picture a while ago (like 10 days) but forgot to upload it.
idunno.gif

It was difficult to take the picture. It was raining so much the ground surrounding the area of the coop (and in the run) was essentially a mixture of mud and rocks.

Last edited:
Sorry it took me this long. I took this picture a while ago (like 10 days) but forgot to upload it.
idunno.gif

It was difficult to take the picture. It was raining so much the ground surrounding the area of the coop (and in the run) was essentially a mixture of mud and rocks.

That's a cockerel - sorry. Nice set of male saddle feathers hanging down there and a lovely "mane" of male hackles.

Back
Top Bottom