Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
WHy do I never hear of these? A friend of mine with a small hatchery got some in, they are really cool looking so far. ow dothey compare to dark and white cornish (other than feather color)?

Last edited:
Was kinda sorting/takng inventory of this years youngsers yesterday. Way younger than a normal year.

A young splash laced cockerel that has potential, a lot of growing/filling out still to go.

Nice birds...My whites look similar. However I do not have very good pictures of them. I will have to spend some time taking them.

3 weeks old

My favorite! Dinner! This one butchered out to 11-12 lbs - 20 weeks old
Gotta admit. That bottom one is a great looking bird.

Pardon me, White Laced Red and thank you. I posted the photo and Ill post again. I would like to know if the red bird is a White Laced Red. Thank you for your time.
no

and the white ones are not white cornish either.

You have purchased some variability of the commonly called Cornish Rock, CX, or Cornish Cross hybrid meat bird. That is what the whites are.

The dark colored chick looks like some kind of knock off 'slow' grower meat bird. These come in any color as well. They are nothing more than the above discussed white birds mated to some kind of DP type bird. Depending on what the DP bird is, you can get any color- even white if the CX is mated to a regular white rock. With that being said, you originally stated you bought 'slower growers'... so to me, the whites are probably a White Rock/ CX.

I have five red laced white Cornish straight run. I will try to post pictures. They are pretty good sized for being only 2 months old.

2013-06-30_18-36-43_440.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I would pass this along. You have to get to the second paragragh to figure out why I posted it here.

Eugene V. Imwalle, age 80 of St. Rt. 119, Maria Stein, Ohio, died 11:25 PM on Monday, November 25, 2013 at his home. He was born on May 11, 1933 in Maria Stein, Ohio to the late William H. and the late Elizabeth (Huelskamp) Imwalle. He married Doris Hartings on May 10, 1958 in St. Rose, Ohio. She survives in Maria Stein. He is also survived by children Gary & Christle Imwalle, Waynesville, Ohio, Angie & Jon Tirpak, Mount Pleasant, SC, Lisa & Duane Newton, Ann Arbor, MI, grandchildren Katherine & Hannah Imwalle, Nicola, Natasha & Nathan Tirpak, Maria & Patrick Newton, sister Matilda Stammen, St. Henry, brother, Edward & Janet Imwalle, The Villages, FL, in-laws, Dorothy Imwalle, Maria Stein, Martha & Richard Scherer, St. Marys, Phyllis Imwalle, Dayton. He was preceded in death by sister Armella Baumer & brothers, Louis, Walter, Herbert Alfred & Fred. He was a member of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, the Men's Sodality of the Church and the Maria Stein American Legion. He served our country in the US Army and was retired from Midmark after 39 years of service. Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 Saturday, November, 30, 2013 at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church with Rev. Tom Brenberger celebrant. Friends may call at the Hogenkamp Funeral Home, Minster from 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM on Friday, November 29, and from 9:00 to 10:00 AM on Saturday, November 30. Burial will take place in St. John Cemetery with full military honors. Condolences may be made at www.hogenkampfh.com.

Eugene met and befriended Charlie Hurd while working at Goodyear in St. Marys, early in his career. Through Charlie he started his lifetime association (some would say affliction) with Cornish chickens. Settling on large fowl white Cornish as his direction. Charlie also introduced him to another long time friend and mentor Lewis Strait. Many a time these men would get together to discuss the merits of their birds, breeding strategies, general fellowship, and all around BS sessions.

Eugene showed his first bird at the age of 70 with the encouragement and help of his 11 year old grand-daughter, who had become very active in 4H poultry showing. After selling his birds a couple years ago as his health would no longer allow him to take care of them, this same grand-daughter, by then a Ohio State student, spotted some very typey white Cornish bantams in the sale cages at the Ohio Nationals. She wondered if they would not make Grand Pa some very nice house chickens. Grand Ma did not think so.

I'd like to think that Eugene has made his way over to the Cornish corner, rejoined some old friends, and some good stories are being told.

On a side note to the rest of the world: It's tax season, and as a result I've decided I have to sell hatching eggs next year if I want to even come close to making ends meet on the Cornish- so start putting orders in. Even though i sold several 100 dollars worth of breeding stock, my wife informed me that the chicken hobby is costing quite a bit. I'm also going to have to invest in a quality incubator to better increase my hatching percentages. Otherwise, it's far cheaper and easier to buy CX birds to eat!

Which btw: I also need to update that the lone CX hen that survived, did indeed produce two eggs that grew into offspring. Those two, I believe one of each sex- are sired by the White Cornish cock. I've wondered throughout their whole life why they were always so much bigger than their WC hatchmates- and now I've figured it out. Will be interesting to see how they'll be backcrossed WC.

Back
Top Bottom