Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Great thread guys!
thumbsup.gif
I have been following in earnest.

I have started on Wyandotte cornish cross project but it seems my cornish are all getting ascites so I'm not sure if we will make it that far.

Does anyone know if the freedom rangers color is considered to be a RIR color, for the chicken calculator chart? According to that, if I do a Wyandotte Freedom Ranger cross they could possibly be sex-links, which would make things MUCH easier!
ep.gif

Last edited:
Good question....................... I don't know if I would consider it RIR because RIR's can vary from light to dark depending. most FR I have seen do have some kinda white mottling mixed in there sometimes.

AL

Quote:
LOL.... well not much. My crosses just started laying eggs. So I'm working on getting those in line for hatching. I'm going to do a few crosses with what I have and see what the outcome is. I've been hunting a lot lately along with daily chores so not much for the project on the meatbirds. However I have to process the second to last batch of broilers tomorrow and skin my deer that I just got tonight. I'm excited as I was starting to get worried about not getting a deer. I don't eat too much beef except for the steak here and there. I don't raise beef yet, so it's chicken, pork, turkey and venison for meat. If I don't raise it or kill it I have to know who does. Which is hard to do in the supermarket.

I'v been following your progress with your project and hope that goes well. It takes so much time and effort to get to a decent point that feels somewhat good when taking on a breeding project. However that's where the fun is I guess.

Katy seemed to be in prime form.... either a good day or a couple glasses of wine??
big_smile.png

You can tell it's winter...

Congrats on the deer Jeff good job, your patients paid off grasshopper LOL. Yes I feel the same way about special breeding projects, hard work, research, up's & down's, good results all equal fun at least it works for me LOL. We may very well be at this deal for years to come if we do it right, but I have plenty of time and you have much more my young friend.

AL

Quote:
I don't eat too much beef except for the steak here and there.

Thats too bad!! If I can help change that let me know. Ever done a chicken/beef swap?

KatyTheChickenLady said

I think Steve's project is coming along great and that single 9 day old chick signifies a lot of success towards what he is trying to accomplish. Actually sometimes I feel like he is have more sucess than me.

I didn't want to hijack Abaya's thread , so answering you here Katy . I'm very happy with that one chick ; but it's barely a start and doesn't compare to the success you're having ! You have several generations and they're lookin' good , although I know longetivity has been a frustrating problem for you .

BTW , this chick resembles a CX and is growing fast but nowhere near one in growth rate [ which is good IMO ] . In character it's nothing like a CX . It is skittish , very active , and scratches in the bedding [ something my CX never did ; they learned to watch the others scratch , then steal their food
lol.png
]

God willing , I'll be setting 42 eggs on Dec 11th for https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=414759&p=1 ; and I invite anybody with projects going to warm those 'bators up and join us for this New Years party
tongue.png
. The majority of my eggs will be GLWs and SSs crossed to an Ameraucana , but I'm throwing in a all the CX crossed with Ameraucana or EE that get laid as well as a few CX x WLRC .​

hello, I have tried some different crosses and will try to post pictures of these: dark cornish cock x rir hens, silver laced wyandotte roo x cx pullet, deleware/rir roo x cx pullet, cx cock x buff turken, cx cock x white rock pullet
they are about 8-9 weeks old and fleshing out good. The dc x rir seem to be fleshing out real nice. they are from hatchery stock. Chicks are about 50% white 50% red, two with beards two without(didn't expect that). The cx crosses are growing slightly faster and fleshing out nicely but my cx pullets look horrible now that every thing is covered in snow and the can't get out to dustbath. My rooster looks perfect, he is separated because he is a little over zealous.

Quote:
I don't eat too much beef except for the steak here and there.

Thats too bad!! If I can help change that let me know. Ever done a chicken/beef swap?

Oh ya, it's the only way I eat my beef! A lot of farmers trade their products at the farmers market I sell at. It's nice because it makes it very affordable. I love beef, don't get me wrong... however I just don't want to spend the money when I have all this meat at my house. What I need to do is just raise a beef cow for myself. I have 17 acres so it shouldn't be a problem.

How do you feed yours? Grass and grain? Grain only? Grass only? I've tried all three and even though I like the 100% grass fed if done right... I'm partial to a little bit of grain added in too. I'm American... fat from grain is good flavor! I have 100% grass fed deer that are acorn finished!! I can handle some grain fed beef LOL...

How do you feed yours? Grass and grain? Grain only? Grass only? I've tried all three and even though I like the 100% grass fed if done right... I'm partial to a little bit of grain added in too. I'm American... fat from grain is good flavor! I have 100% grass fed deer that are acorn finished!! I can handle some grain fed beef LOL...

Breeding stock is the main goal of the place I manage. If they don't cut it as breeders they go into Our "natural beef" progam. (cottonwoodspringsfarm.com look under LNB). No hormones, no antibiotic, grass feed. We process about 15 head a year and market it here on farm and farmers markets. Also a few resturants. Now if I want one for myself CORN, CORN,CORN and Vitamin E! I know its not what I should say, but I am not going to live forever and If I die with a great steak in my belly I'll be happy.​

if I want one for myself CORN, CORN,CORN and Vitamin E! I know its not what I should say, but I am not going to live forever and If I die with a great steak in my belly I'll be happy.

thumbsup.gif
The doctors told me no red meat after some heart attacks . While I do eat more poultry and fish than I used to , nothing beats a corn fed beef ribeye or prime rib and I'm not giving it up .​

Back
Top Bottom