Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
idunno.gif
She is gone?.......
th.gif

I emailed Katy , she's OK , been busy , but was going to try to get on BYC today .

I got one pic this morning before the camera and I malfunctioned . Couldn't find either my new batteries or my Immodium A D , so off to town with many stops at anyplace with a restroom
hmm.png
. I think I'll wait untill after Christmas before useing my camera again outdoors , as I suspiscion its an internal condensation problem rather than batteries and I want to make sure I get Christmas pics .

This is a poor shot of the younger , smaller DC ; but I think you can see why I'm stoked about adding them to my gene pool . The cockeral he's challenging through the breeding pen fence is a splash Ameracauna demoted to EE due to red bleed and an upright tail , but larger and fuller than most so great for my project .
44349_cornish.jpg

I got better pics of the two DC today ............................................

6 month old
44349_cornish_007.jpg

7 month old [ with part of comb missing due to a through-the-fence scrap ]
44349_cornish_004.jpg

7 month old upright after crowing
44349_cornish_005.jpg

ETA whoops , added correct pic and info

Last edited:
Thank you Jarred . Their breeder had described them as nice birds , but went on to describe their faults and the fact that they still needed time to develope . I was very pleased with them just as they are ; but I've seen her exhibition birds and know that she has better , at least for show purposes .

I'm no expert , but comparing the breeder's birds pictured here , and my own , against my own hatchery WLRC and other straight Cornish pictured ; the difference is night and day . About the only simularities are color , hard feathers , pea combs , and slow growth . I dressed two WLRC cockerals at the same time as three EE cockerals ; there was very little difference in size and shape , with the WLRC having very slightly more breast meat . I kept my best WLRC cockeral untill 6 months , and he was fed an over 20% protein feed . He was much taller than my 4 pullets , being upright in stance on longer legs [ not a true Cornish form , relaxed stance and shank length differences between sexes is minimal in good Cornish ] . He dressed at just over 3 lbs , skinless and with the last wing joint severed ; he might have gone 3 and 1/2 dressed traditionally . My breeder said hers average 6 lbs , dressed , at 6 months .

If you use this link : http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cornish/BRKCornish.html , you will see a WLRC from McMurray near the top , and a pair of DC from unnamed hatchery stock towards the bottom . Most of the other Cornish there are from the U.K. [ and it seems U.S. show breeders have developed a thicker Cornish ] ; but you will see the difference for yourself , especially in males .

The true Cornish are a tight , hard feathered bird ; what you see in the pics of Al's , Chad's [ Arrowhead07 ] , and my own Cornish is the actual size and shape of the body . Most other breeds have size and shape exagerated by fluff , and if you pick up a true Cornish the weight difference is astonishing compared to another chicken that is visually as large or larger .

Back
Top Bottom