Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
I know, I married into a man's first name. To make it worse it happens to be my fathers FIRST name...talk about complicated at the wedding. If I could figure out how to change my name on here w/ out starting all over again I would pick something more gender obvious. But frankly its the story of my life now. Every certificate I get has my last name first and my first name last!!!!
he.gif

Quote:
Thak you EB . Its a cheap , still air , Hovabator ; ordered on sale at $88 with auto turner included . I wish I could afford better , but it works [ kinda
lol.png
] . I'm new at running one , so ................................

i wrangled up some books to sell back to amazon for an amazon gift card and i was looking at the genesis hova-bator.. i hope it's a good one!

i need something to get my freedom ranger eggs in! all this good weather we've been having here has the hens laying like crazy and the roosters awfully frisky!
i'm just so jealous of you guys all hatching out your own crosses!!! keep up the good work!

i have 6 hens that i held back that were hatched in may, as well as 4 roosters (2 from a may hatch and 2 from a september hatch). i'm also going to keep 2 hens from the september hatch, i just have to decide which i want to eat and which i want to keep.

on a good day, from the 6 hens that are laying i will get 4 eggs, but it usually is more like 2 or 3 a day. i kept 2 roosters that are more upright and 2 that are more brick shaped.

i just want to SEE for my own eyes what an F2 from these hybrids will be like and how they will perform in my microclimate. i also saw my head honcho rooster (light brahma) sneaking in some personal time with the FR hens before i separated them so i guess we will see!

edited to add- the brahma rooster is really big but he is nowhere near as heavy as my FR roos

Last edited:
Have you checked fertility yet ??. and just a hint you may want to change up your feed while your collecting hatching egg's, it makes a big difference on viability and hatch rates.

AL

i did check, and to my novice eye they looked fertile... but then again, this is literally my first time collecting and trying to hatch eggs. the eggs aren't overly large, but bigger than a pullet egg. i guess i could go weigh one..

do they need higher protein? or..? they currently are on a 17%

thanks al

Last edited:
Yes I would up the feed quality at least until you stop collecting egg's. the added protein and more importantly the vitamins & minerials will help the developing egg proteins in many different way's, it's just added insurance for better hatches. It really helps me, made a believer outta me.

AL

Quote:
barnie.gif
Gosh there is room to say sooooo much, alas it true I'm a girl
ya.gif

This I knew... the loving husband gave it away! LOL...

well you guys are just more observant than me! But she is a girl, and she is on the meat bird thread, and she is FROM IDAHO, so that makes her really cool!
Hey Eko was wondering if you would share a pic???? very curious about what you've got, weights would be a great share too.

Back
Top Bottom