Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
Al,
90% clear .... is that because of the weight or frame of the birds? If so are the birds still within the guidelines of the SOP?

Joe

Yes on both fronts............. The whites were developed and bred to the SOP but the main breeders who had the most influence in developing that same APA-SOP also tended to overly influence the the production of unmanagable traits for show ring purposes. Thus and unwittingly resulting in the reduced ability to propigate the breed, by virtue of infertility in certain body structure traits.

AL

Quote:
Al,
90% clear .... is that because of the weight or frame of the birds? If so are the birds still within the guidelines of the SOP?

Joe

Yes on both fronts............. The whites were developed and bred to the SOP but the main breeders who had the most influence in developing that same APA-SOP also tended to overly influence the the production of unmanagable traits for show ring purposes. Thus and unwittingly resulting in the reduced ability to propigate the breed, by virtue of infertility in certain body structure traits.

AL

This might be a good time to watch the You-Tube video on AI ... it looked easy
gig.gif
... on bantams.
gig.gif

Quote:

AL

gig.gif
... on bantams.
gig.gif

Then Al would need to post a video of him doing the AI on the girls. I would also be curious on the collection of the semen.
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Quote:

AL

gig.gif
... on bantams.
gig.gif

You're joking I know , but the breeder's willingness to resort to A.I. perpetuated the breed's problem with infertility . The Dark Cornish I purchased are freakishly thick and not done maturing yet , and their breeder's best show birds were even thicker and appeared to be on even shorter legs . I felt her answer might possibly have been evasive , but when I asked how her line was for fertility , her reply was " I've never had to A.I. " IF these guys produce for me , they will have been bred to natural breeders with the intent of adding muscle and frame ; the chicks should be considerably less freakish but hopefully carrying a lot more body than an Ameraucana or most of the EE I've seen . I think one of my CX roos would breed naturally on a big enough hen ; a 20 pound roo is just too big to get in the proper place on these little 5 pound pullets .

Quote:
Al,

Joe

AL

I was wondering Al ; since the White Cornish are the most problematic with fertility , why haven't you used a good Dark Cornish over the White Cornish gals ? I would think the F1s off that cross , when mated to each other , should produce some Whites in the F2 generation if White Cornish are true recessive white .

Quote:

AL

I was wondering Al ; since the White Cornish are the most problematic with fertility , why haven't you used a good Dark Cornish over the White Cornish gals ? I would think the F1s off that cross , when mated to each other , should produce some Whites in the F2 generation if White Cornish are true recessive white .

i was thinking the same thing... with recessive or dominant white you should be good in 2 generations if not 1...

Quote:
Thats not what I want to hear! I just put 15 in the incubator. I was checking them for atleast 10 days to see if the males were old enough to get it done and I was getting about 1 out of 3 that looked fertile to me. I will know more in 7 days when I candle them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom