Red Ranger Chickens

Even if there not quite as fast as there parents, I would be happy with that
1f44d.png

I picked up this big guy off craigslist. I hope to use him for next years breeding. Don't know how much he weighs.
As you can see, the offspring of the Red Ranger rooster and Red Ranger Hens are still not as big as I would like. They are 13 weeks.
Roo 1 = 5 lbs
Roo 2 = 4 lbs
Hen 1 = 4 lbs
Hens 2-5 = 3 lbs

Last edited:
My rooster is 11.6 pounds he's a very very good roo. He's soooooo sweet and never attacks me. My bantam back got torn up once from him but she got smart so now she's fine. Don't know if that helps. He's almost 2

Weindercharm I'm very curious to see how your breading of the red rangers come out. I just got my chick's and was wanting to do the same. I didn't relized at the time i ordered them that they didn't breed true. I'm new to breeding chickens. What breed is the rooster you picked up? I'm thinking if I keep breeding them and keep the best on from each hatch. I will hopefully get close to the original rangers that breed true.

I don't think my assessment is going to be all that great.

I have been feeding everyone during some of the coldest parts of the year and they are still growing but at a MUCH slower rate than the original parental group because they are using it to stay warm rather than grow bigger. The roo's are big enough to butcher, but its single digit out and I DONT WANT TO. lol. I have picked up the hens and a few are really solid.... hefty.

I am not sure the cost of feeding has been worth it...... but then, the time I chose to raise them was not the best. I will know more as we get into better temperatures and I let the parents breed. I have a VERY broody hen that I will let hatch them out so I won't have to incubate the eggs in the house.

Another downfall was that I was free ranging them for some times. I didn't realize that this would reduce the body size because they are working off all the weight while out running around. If I kept them confined, I think they would have been butchered before this cold front rolled in.

All in all....... they look EXACTLY like the parents. Even the two roos are getting to the point I cannot tell the difference between them and my Rooster. Their desire to eat is EXACTLY like the parent. Their growth rate.......... I cannot tell you because of the problems mentioned above.

I say...... go for it if you want to raise them.

P.S. The big rooster in the pic is a strait red ranger. I wanted to get a new daddy to breed so that this coming season would not be inbreeding.

Red Rangers are all 4 way crosses. You have 4 original breeds that are crossed to make offspring that are a mix of 2 breeds. Those are then crossed to make offspring that are a cross between all 4 breeds. You will never get a true breed because they are all mongrels. Only those that work at the hatcheries know the original 4 breeds and the manner of which they cross them.

Last edited:
I just picked up two red ranger hens a few days ago. Holy cow, they are not shy about eating anything. Compared to Cornish cross that I have raised in the past, these girls have a similar appetite but are more willing to consume things besides feed. They didn't hesitate to scarf down a pumpkin and other veggie scraps, as well as every last speck of feed. My cornish cross would eat tomatoes, and pumpkin seeds, but that's about it. Some of them were even fearful of bugs!

I'm eager to work with these. I'm hoping to make a black fleshed meat bird that can be free ranged, I think these hens will be a good place to start.

I bought 6 last year at Tractor supply. I ended up with 4 hens and 2 roosters. These have grown to HUGE birds fed once daily and they usually don't lay any without the introduction of laying pellets to their diet. When they do lay I am getting several double yolks and many eggs the diameter of freaking tennis balls. I haven't had any leg problems yet only issue I have had is hatching them off (haven't had any sitting yet) but on incubator after 23 days they haven't absorbed yolk yet. Any help on this would be wonderful.

Really helpful! I am very interested in the Red Rangers, and all of your data and pictures were very informative. Thanks!
Do you still have them? Or their offspring?

Back
Top Bottom