Red stringy poop?

MidlandChicks

Songster
Apr 8, 2022
North Carolina
I apologize ahead of time for the gross picture. It just happened in the moment and hands were sanitized immediately after!

One of my Easter egger pullets was acting “off” tonight and went to go roost for bed earlier than any of the others which isn’t like her at all. I just saw this hanging from her behind as she was roosting.

I have no idea what it is. Any ideas? She’s 25 weeks old. Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• 4A52A54F-04D3-44F4-9D01-DA919BAD4FEE.jpeg
    4A52A54F-04D3-44F4-9D01-DA919BAD4FEE.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 15
That's intestinal lining. Usually, it's in very tiny amounts and occurs only from time to time, not a regular thing. In small amounts once in a while is nothing to worry about.

However, that is much more than we usually see, and the color is much darker than we usually see, indicating some blood could be present. Put that with your report the hen discharging it is lethargic, we have potential infection going on.

I suggest a sulfa antibiotic to get on top of this before she develops full scale enteritis. You can find it in a pigeon supply shop or order it here. https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=83dcb7a2a&_ss=r

Sometimes E.coli attacks a chicken's intestines, and that may be going on here, but coccidiosis can cause this type of infection, as well. Therefore, it may be wise to treat the entire flock for coccidiosis just to be safe. You'll need Corid for this. You may safely mix Corid and the sulfa in the same water and treat the entire flock with both.

That's intestinal lining. Usually, it's in very tiny amounts and occurs only from time to time, not a regular thing. In small amounts once in a while is nothing to worry about.

However, that is much more than we usually see, and the color is much darker than we usually see, indicating some blood could be present. Put that with your report the hen discharging it is lethargic, we have potential infection going on.

I suggest a sulfa antibiotic to get on top of this before she develops full scale enteritis. You can find it in a pigeon supply shop or order it here. https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=83dcb7a2a&_ss=r

Sometimes E.coli attacks a chicken's intestines, and that may be going on here, but coccidiosis can cause this type of infection, as well. Therefore, it may be wise to treat the entire flock for coccidiosis just to be safe. You'll need Corid for this. You may safely mix Corid and the sulfa in the same water and treat the entire flock with both.
Thank you so much. I’ll jump on this asap and get the Corid and sulfa! Fingers crossed we can get ahead of this. Thank you again!!!

One more thing. You might want to go ahead and cover third base and worm them all while you're at it as worms can cause the same infammation as coccidia. I'd use a gentle wormer such as Safeguard. You may safely use it at the same time you treat them with the other two meds. Each of the three meds works in independent ways, so there is no danger of drug interactions.

One more thing. You might want to go ahead and cover third base and worm them all while you're at it as worms can cause the same infammation as coccidia. I'd use a gentle wormer such as Safeguard. You may safely use it at the same time you treat them with the other two meds. Each of the three meds works in independent ways, so there is no danger of drug interactions.
Good idea. I will go ahead and treat them for worms as well. Thank you so much. This is my first sick chicken so it’s nice to know I can come out here and get help fast. Have a great evening!!

I ordered the sulfa powder and it should be here in a few days and picked up some Corid this morning. I’m having a hard time figuring out which safe-guard product to get. Can you please send me a link of what you’d recommend? I’ve seen them for equine, goats, cattle but not chickens. Thank you so much!

As @SmiYa0126 says, just grab the tube that you see is for other livestock. You will give them each a glob directly into the beak for the next three days. Repeat in 10 to 14 days. Chickens like the apple flavor and I've never had a problem getting them to accept it right off my finger.
Perfect. Thank you!! I’ll work on getting some this morning. 😊

Back
Top Bottom