Redcaps

I didn't know so many people had these! They are so beautiful...
love.gif

Last edited:
Just came home with 2 nice Dorking roos... I've been breeding the purebreds and now will start with the crosses... we'll see what's what in 5-10 years! I'm kinda excited and full of high hopes!
wee.gif
Wish

me luck and patience.

Last edited:
Hi all! New here. I was googling Redcaps because I am interested in helping this breed and stumbled on this thread. So exciting that there are a few others out there trying to help them. I will be watching this thread to see how things are going and maybe get some of these next year. Good luck!

Any updates? I haven't followed this thread for awhile, but just caught up and I must say I'm really excited to hear how this goes. Also, I'm sure they're just as rare if not more so, but what about adding Old English Pheasant Fowl into the crossing out group? I'm not sure where they would fit in...now that I think about it... but they would be bigger than hamburgs, so using those might save some time selecting for size? Idk... I'm really just thinking out loud here. I love the OEPF almost as much as I love Red Caps.

I decided to use the Rosecomb Dorkings because of size, the similar comb, the red ears (which have been often lost in hatchery birds), brown eggs. A Red Dorking has similar feather coloring. Drawbacks are the extra toe in the Dorking and Recaps have a much more upright stance. The Dorking is an old foundation breed too. I also found a good Dorking source near by. So this summer I am crossing redcaps to Dorkings and maintaining some purebreds. Next summer I may cross some of the crosses to each other but will mostly breed the crosses back to purebred Redcaps. In 5-10 years I might have SOP Redcaps.
I'm not really very familar with OEPF (love the way they look) but did think about using large Hamburgs.

Back
Top Bottom