Redcaps

I am trying again this year. I have 6 pullets and 2 cockerels coming from Ideal. I also ordered 5 pullets from McMurray. I hope the hatcheries don't use the same supplier of hatching eggs.? I am trying McMurray's again only because last Winter was so harsh and maybe that is why they performed so poorly (versus being too closely bred).

I am trying again this year. I have 6 pullets and 2 cockerels coming from Ideal. I also ordered 5 pullets from McMurray. I hope the hatcheries don't use the same supplier of hatching eggs.? I am trying McMurray's again only because last Winter was so harsh and maybe that is why they performed so poorly (versus being too closely bred).

Don't order from Ideal. In my first batch, all 12 died. In the replacement batch, I only have two left. I don't know what the deal is. Let me know if you have more luck with McMurray?

I've had Redcaps for several years. I had both Ideal and McMurray stock and had the best luck with McMurray Redcaps. I have found them to be quite hardy. They do not like damp conditions. They lay right through our Pennsylvania winters. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm sorry you were discouraged by what I said... I did not mean for that to happen. They are a breed that needs breeders and there do not seem to be many people doing that. They are nice birds. The hens are the most curious, nosy things! They do love to free range but seem to adjust fine to being confined.

I had a trio of nice hens from McMurray a few years ago. They were very curious and laid well. The subsequent birds ordered from them were very weak and laid poorly. I agree that there need to be more breeders. I may try again some other time. I just didn't want to spend that much money to purchase and raise birds that wont turn out well.

Last edited:
I had a trio of nice hens from McMurray a few years ago. They were very curious and laid well. The subsequent birds ordered from them were very weak and laid poorly. I agree that there need to be more breeders. I may try again some other time. I just didn't want to spend that much money to purchase and raise birds that wont turn out well.
Are there any breeders aside from hatcheries? Clearly there is some interest. We just need a leg up to get started with some good stock.

I know of a breeder in LaValle, Wisconsin, but I doubt he ships chicks. A lot of the people out there raising this breed have obtained their original stock from Ideal and McMurray. It would be nice to have some stock with bloodlines from Europe.

My trio is from McMurray and they are doing great. Started laying a few weeks ago finally. Eggs are kind of creamy colored, not a white white like my plymouths, but definitely not brown. The roo is big and beautiful but the girls are still on the smallish side. I think they will finish out better though since were not at a year yet. They have beautiful coloring and combs. One girl is quite docile, the other one screams at us but lets us pick her up. She doesnt like us to collect eggs either so she might be a good broody hen. We shall see.

I hope by next year i can do some hatching but i dont want to push it.

My trio is from McMurray and they are doing great. Started laying a few weeks ago finally. Eggs are kind of creamy colored, not a white white like my plymouths, but definitely not brown. The roo is big and beautiful but the girls are still on the smallish side. I think they will finish out better though since were not at a year yet. They have beautiful coloring and combs. One girl is quite docile, the other one screams at us but lets us pick her up. She doesnt like us to collect eggs either so she might be a good broody hen. We shall see.

I hope by next year i can do some hatching but i dont want to push it.

Great to hear! I hope to get some again some day as I love the breed!

Back
Top Bottom