Redwood Incubators - Information, help, for sale and wanted

Pics
I bought a Farm Master today. I'm not sure all the wood is redwood, it turns on & heats, but the outside is on the poor side, wood is all dried. Any suggestions on how to do something with the wood so it looks better? After I clean it up? I am hoping to rewire it, even if it doesn't need it because the wires are very old.....

Has all drawers & water tray. I think just needs a clean up & maybe some new wire. I'll find out after the test run tomorrow.

I gave mine a good wipe down with murphy's oil soap and that helped clean up the outside quite a bit. After our 4H fundraiser hatch (setting eggs on the 15th!) is over I'm going to give a little more TLC to the outside as well. Maybe I'll try mineral oil. Good Luck!

Quote: Not sure, it has 6 drawers, and each drawer will hold 2-30 egg holders, so....ta da....that would be around 320. OMG, I will not have that many chicks...LOL

I usually hatch in my Sportsman, I should say, it holds 60 eggs each tray & has 3 drawers, so that is 180. But not all the eggs hatch, which is probably a good thing....

I am trying the Farm Master for 2 reasons, one is I want to keep it inn my barn, and they say they will work well no matter what the outside temps is. I have an insulated Tack room in the barn, which is unheated, but stays warmer than the rest of the barn. And two, I have waterfowl now, & I was told the Sportsman doesn't work well for goose eggs.

Actually I have 3 reasons, the third being, if it catches on fire, although I'd be upset if the barn caught fire, I'd be even more upset if it was in my house...ergo...rewiring it.
If we get it out of the truck today, have to wait for extra help, I'll take a pic, to have before & after.

HennyHens, do I know you? Yours is in much better shape than mine. I have a lot of work to do, but not sure about the freezing weather for next week...argh...I'm in Vernon,

Marquisella - I showed sheep w/your daugher back in the day!
frow.gif
Diana Cositanes (although married is Ellerbruch). I am now a 4H leader of The Country Homesteaders 4H Club out of Oneida County. My SIL purchased lavs from you as well once. I'm just outside the city of Oneida.
smile.png
Small world!

Here it is! The first pic is of the inside of the front where the wafer is. I circled a cut off large electric wire, its hard to see but it is the same type of wire that is underneath it. Anyone see anything that is very wrong? Well, besides the condition of the wood...trays are rusty but function. Should I take a wire brush to them or is there something like naval jelly I can use? Any other suggestions? At some point, white plastic was stapled over the window in the door. There is old dry "stuff" around the door & where the door meets the body, rubber gASKET like...I assume to prevent leaks. I am seeing way more work than I originally thought...

Last edited:
Here it is! The first pic is of the inside of the front where the wafer is. I circled a cut off large electric wire, its hard to see but it is the same type of wire that is underneath it. Anyone see anything that is very wrong? Well, besides the condition of the wood...trays are rusty but function. Should I take a wire brush to them or is there something like naval jelly I can use? Any other suggestions? At some point, white plastic was stapled over the window in the door. There is old dry "stuff" around the door & where the door meets the body, rubber gASKET like...I assume to prevent leaks. I am seeing way more work than I originally thought...

So, no advice? The inside is painted white, if I repaint it, what type should I use?

I can't post links, but there is a Jamesway in need of some TLC on the Richmond VA CL for $100.
JW

I just picked up two KUHL 624 redwood incubators i only wanted one but the guy threw in the second one for free so two for $100. So far I like them I set the temp to kick off at 101.1 because it seemed to be letting the temp drop to 98.5 otherwise now it kicks on at 99.3 and turns off at 101.1 is this an ok temperature for chicken eggs? Also does anyone else use the manual egg turners with them? I am thinking about transfering the turners from my styro bators into it thought it might work.

OK Well first I didn't see how much you got this for but it looks like a nice unit. As for the wire that is cut. I really can't tell much in that pic but I think that was probably to the over temp alarm tht has now been removed. To be safe I would remove that cover and make sure there are ho "hot wires" floating around.
As for the trays I would use a small wire brush and that is it NO CHEMICALS in there. IMO
I have some concern about the heat element being so wide and away from the fan.
I would not repaint the inside. And for the outside I would wipe it down and then apply FG mineral oil.
I think you have a nice unit there.

I probably paid too much, after seeing what hensey paid for hers...$275. But, Its warming up, everything seems to be working. I see what you mean about the heating element. It appears someone moved it from its original holders further apart. I'mm going to leave it there for now to see how it works. If it doens't keep the temps, I'll move the element back to original holders. I figure there was a reason they moved it...If I need a new element, where can I buy one? I probably should change out the wafer also. I have a new one, will do that later.

so, the drawers aren't as bad as I thought, so just wire brushing should do the trick. Apparently the outside condition of the wood is the worst part of it, and hopefully I'l be able to fix that up when the weather is better. I have it in the barn that is a warm 20 degrees. In 10 minutes the temps inside the incubator went from 33 to 57, and then I had to come inside to warm myself up...

For those of you that hatch waterfowl, I think my geese eggs will fit ok, but the babies won't be able to stand up I don't think. Is there a solution, or will I have to hatch them in my Genesis with more head room?

Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom