Redwood Incubators - Information, help, for sale and wanted

Pics
Quote: Oh OK most likely a good application of quality penetrating oil and then a good dose of patience. Soak it and wait. After a few hours GENTLY try to turn the rod. Be sure to watch on the inside to see if it looks to be moving. Once it starts to turn continue to gently work it back and forth a little at a time. Absolute worst case is it will break off. IF that does happen. I would recommend one of these. It is a direct replacement. 2 screw installation and attach the wires. VERY simple!! https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=147

My Farm Master keeps the temp at 79, through day & night. It was -13 this morning, but obviously that isnt warm enough. What suggestions does anyone have for what is the problem. Its not the wafer, as I replaced the one that came with it.

BTW, its out in an unheated barn, so am impressed that at least the temp didn't change at all once it hit 79.

I'm loving all the redwood chatter on this thread! Now that I have one in my charge I find it interesting to hear/see what others experiences are with these gorgeous incubators!

After getting the one I have, we replaced the wiring as it was original to the machine (1940!) and as everything else was in working order we fired it up and ran a test hatch. During incubation we had a spike in temp followed with a plummet in temp. I thought for sure we were doomed and all eggs were "cooked". We quickly threw in another bunch of eggs just in case the temp fluctuations killed the first set. Well, were we surprised when the first set had an 88% hatch rate and the second (just a week later) was 81%!! Needless to say we're THRILLED with this incubator!
love.gif
We did end up replacing the thermostat and switch after everyone hatched and it's been holding temp for a few days now with no temp fluctuations! We're super excited to fill it up for our 4H fundraiser chick sale.

The unit we have didn't have the egg turners with it so my crafty hubby made some. They work great! I think we're all set to set some eggs on the 15th!
wee.gif

I'm loving all the redwood chatter on this thread! Now that I have one in my charge I find it interesting to hear/see what others experiences are with these gorgeous incubators!

After getting the one I have, we replaced the wiring as it was original to the machine (1940!) and as everything else was in working order we fired it up and ran a test hatch. During incubation we had a spike in temp followed with a plummet in temp. I thought for sure we were doomed and all eggs were "cooked". We quickly threw in another bunch of eggs just in case the temp fluctuations killed the first set. Well, were we surprised when the first set had an 88% hatch rate and the second (just a week later) was 81%!! Needless to say we're THRILLED with this incubator!
love.gif
We did end up replacing the thermostat and switch after everyone hatched and it's been holding temp for a few days now with no temp fluctuations! We're super excited to fill it up for our 4H fundraiser chick sale.

The unit we have didn't have the egg turners with it so my crafty hubby made some. They work great! I think we're all set to set some eggs on the 15th!
wee.gif
Where did you buy the switch & thermostate? I'm going to order a new heating element as well.

Last edited:

love.gif

wee.gif

I would love to see the turners your husband made do you have pics?

Ok I have a question when I turned my eggs last night I noticed they felt cold the temp on the thermometer mounted to the door was reading 100 and I had a thermometer probe in the same area reading the same. So I moved the probe into the tray to get that reading and noticed the temp in the tray area was only reading a high of 98.5 and a low of 97.7 what am I doing wrong obviously there is something wrong with the air circulation but not sure what it could be also I have noticed that the water trays dry up really fast anybody have any thoughts on that?

Ok I have a question when I turned my eggs last night I noticed they felt cold the temp on the thermometer mounted to the door was reading 100 and I had a thermometer probe in the same area reading the same. So I moved the probe into the tray to get that reading and noticed the temp in the tray area was only reading a high of 98.5 and a low of 97.7 what am I doing wrong obviously there is something wrong with the air circulation but not sure what it could be also I have noticed that the water trays dry up really fast anybody have any thoughts on that?

Anybody have any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom