Referbished Playhouse Coop under construction (pics)...ideas welcomed.

Our run is 8'x8'. We put wire down on the ground then built the frame on top for the enclosure. I covered the wire with a sand and gravel (paver base) mix.

For more shade you could hang a tarp on one side or attach some lattice to one side or plant a couple of tall bushes.

A small step ladder works nice as a roost. And you can move it around. =-)

Here are some more pics of our progress. We decided to let the chickens use the area under the house as well. We completed the floor and began painting the playhouse coop. I had some white paint and went to Lowes to check to see if they had any paint for sale that was reduced because it was mixed wrong. I found some pink. I asked the guy in the paint department if he could add some dye to it to make it gray. He said he would try. He managed to make it a dark gray, but I needed it lighter so he continued to add white until it lighten! I got a gallon of $27 exterior paint for $5!!! When I got home I mixed a little more white with it to make it a little lighter and so that I would have enough to paint the whole playhouse coop. I think the color turned out great! So far everything I have used to renovate the playhouse has been recycled and I have spent very little. I even got most of the wire for the run off craigslist for cheep!...I just had to tear down someones run. I also got a galvanized waterer and feeder, plywood for the floor of the playhouse, and several boards...all for just $25. I love craigslist! Here are the pics of us painting! It was a group effort! My dad has been a huge help because hubby has been busy with work. (My goal is for it to be a super cute coop as well as a cozy home for my chickens)
25640_112_6451.jpg

25640_112_6466.jpg

25640_112_6448.jpg

My dad working on the front post
25640_112_6438.jpg

25640_112_6442.jpg

Last edited:
Super cute indeed! The gray is lovely and strikes a nice balance between being contemporary and complementing the gingerbread-y nature of the playhouse. Great choice! And I love the curtains.
smile.png

I love how happy the kids look to be helping out in the project. the house is super cute and I think your hens will be soo happy in there. Good job and keep updating looks super awesome!!!
thumbsup.gif

Well our playhouse coop is coming right along. We finished doing repairs on the playhouse and painting it. Put in the roost and dropings board and cut a door for the chicks that will open and close with a pully/rope system. We are now almost ready to add wire to the run...just a little more painting to do on the frame. Here are some pics...all the family involved in the process. Boy this has been a lot of work....early mornings and late afternoons because the temp. has been soooo hot! Our chickens have checked it out and given us pointers (we understand chicken) and seem to like it. Take a look and let me know what you think:
25640_working_on_chicken_coop_with_pop_0010.jpg

[
25640_working_on_chicken_coop_with_pop_0009.jpg
]
[
25640_working_on_chicken_coop_with_pop_0001.jpg
]
[
25640_working_on_chicken_coop_with_pop.jpg
]
[
25640_working_on_chicken_coop_with_pop_0005.jpg

[
25640_working_on_chicken_coop_with_pop_0008.jpg

[
25640_img_0746.jpg
]

Gorgeous playhouse! Yours is larger than ours, but here is a picture. I like having the coop elevated because the chickens have some extra space and I can reach in there with a rake with no problem.
48502_coop_front_2.jpg

48502_dscn0159.jpg

Please pardon the unfinished paintwork - mosquitoes won.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom