Refrigerate or not?

Shrader

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've always put eggs in the fridge.
So when my girls started laying, I just naturally put them in the fridge.
A friend told me I don't have to -- and in fact shouldn't.
Does it affect the flavor of eggs if you put them in the fridge?
How long will they last, sitting out on the counter?
Thanks.

The freshness of eggs held at normal ambient room temperatures,(68-72 F,) decreases rapidly compared to refrigerated,but not frozen eggs-in-shell. USDA guidelines,give 72 hours or less for those eggs, held at room temp,to remain edible and fit for human consumption. Further the risk for infection due to salmonella doubles after the first 24 hour period and increases exponentially thereafter. Also,risk of infection,due to the staphococcus bacterium increases.

So...I have this nuclear warhead and my grandpa said it's a real bad thing,but how can I be so sure...nobody I KNOW ever SAW one go off;let's try it and see what happens?

I don't know of any reason you shouldn't put eggs in the refrigerator. You could ask your friend. I think there are at least a few people on the forum that keep eggs on the counter. Eggs will keep longer in the refrigerator. Fresh, clean, unwashed eggs, with the bloom still on, when refrigerated, have still been good after 6 months in one article I read. They were testing different storage methods for eggs and that had the best results.

I've heard that in Europe it's the norm, not to refrigerate eggs. Different places around the world, often do things differently than we do. I refrigerate mine.

I do both, depending on if I have enough egg cartons to store them in. I've not had one go bad or gotten sick from doing this. If I do leave them on the counter it's not for more than a week, usually. There is another thread somewhere on here where other members were talking about this, but I don't remember where it's at.

The trick is, if you want to leave them out on the counter, do not wash them.

I found the link! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9587

There ya go!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
French chefs do not refrigerate, for many reasons, one is that they "fluff" and whip better. I take my store bought eggs out and let them set out to room temperature before I use them.

I agree with ChicknGurl - 1 week max and do not wash......

Fresh eggs are fine unrefrigerated for a week or so but last months in the fridge. If you leave them out don't wash them because the bloom keeps the bacteria out. In most Latin American countries people don't refrigerate eggs and its normally quite hot there. They usually use them within a few days though.

Back
Top Bottom