Relocating to tricities are (Johnson City) Tennessee? Anyone from ther

They are several people on byc that lives around the johnson city area I live about a hour away from there. I seen it earlier in the post it isn't NYC but it is more populated then where i live and mostly nice people I dont think you will have any problems just treat people as you would want to be treated.

Come on you guys, NY is not the same as NYC. Believe it or not most people from NY cant stand NYC- its the cause of all our problems and the reason more and more people (such as my family) are moving out of state. In fact, more than a lot of the people I know up here have never even been below Albany. I live upstate, in the country, 45 minutes from the nearest walmart. I dont think anyone from NYC could survive anywhere else BUT NYC... lol.

Our little village has about 100 people in it, and we're all like family... so the thought of moving some place new with people who might not want to be friendly to northerners is a little... intimidating? But I see its not going to really be that way. I actually moved to NY from central ohio and it took us some time to be accepted by the locals since there is a huge cultural difference between the two places. I imagine it cant be much worse than having gone through that move 14 years ago- it wasnt half so bad as I imagined.

My biggest excitement over it all is the lower cost of living, and yes, actually the bible-beltness of it all (darn liberal heathens! You need a battle axe to wade through them up here). But definitely also the warmer climate! I am SO sick of darkness hitting from 4pm to 7am all winter, and having to hide out because its -20 for the umpteenth day in a row and we cant afford the taxes on heating fuel.

I bet if we just DECIDE that they are our people and we love them and the area we'll get along great...

Maybe I'll invest in some overalls for all of us
tongue.png
Thanks for the info! Keep it coming!

Johnson City is about 20 miles from me. I think you will find that it's a wonderful place to live.

The best grocery store is Earth Fare. The 2 best pizza places are Johnny Brusco's and Mellow Mushroom. Other great places to eat are Barbaritos, Cootie Brown's, and Alta Cucina. You have to try the wood-fired bakery called Scratch Brick Oven...yummy!

If you like shopping for locally grown food, pastured beef, lamb, and pork, you're in luck because there are quite a few farmer's markets around. (The best one is in Abingdon, VA)

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks Hencackle- that was just the sort of info I was hoping for. I've looked at a few places for sale in bountiful. Pretty area- and I cant even believe the prices!

Ima PM you here in a second..

I live in the middle of Tennessee maybe not the same but I love it here. Never been to NY but there has to be more room to move around here. I don't know anyone that would not like you because you're from NY. I think you will just love it here, you'll see. I moved here from CA when I was 13 and I am never going back, this is my home.

Last edited:
Chicken Fruit knows I'm just playing.

While New York City itself is just awful to me, upstate New York
is indeed very beautiful. (At least in the summer.)

As is Tennessee...some breathtaking scenery in Eastern Tennessee.
And many, many wonderful people.

My personal experience has been that if you treat people the way
you want people to treat you....well, most of the people will give you
a chance.

To have a friend, you have to be a friend.

And I've found that to be a real truism in the south...Tennessee, the Carolinas,
Georgia. I've not spent much time in the other southern states.

So to all our friends here that do live in Tennessee, that's a great state. Maybe
not as nice as Ohio...but close. After all, Tennessee doesn't have any Ohio State
Buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals, or even the Cleveland Browns.

Wear orange, camo, put a BUSH/PALIN sticker on your car and talk about those liberal heathens loudly. You'll be best friends with the entire community in moments. If all fails, buy a gun rack and maybe stick a confederate sticker on your bumper. Knock a few teeth out, cut your hair into the ever popular mullet design, slap on a pair of 'coveralls' and get a can of chewin' t'baca.

I kid, I kid. I'm a pretty liberal heathen here, but you will be more surprised than anything by how nice everyone is. People actually talk to you, let you go ahead in line if you only have a few items, and the most amazing thing yet....let you over if your blinker is on. I have the southern california merge AND THEN use your blinker thing down.....out here, if you use your blinker, people actually slow down and wave you over.

Such a strange concept.

Also, be prepared to wave at complete strangers. When driving backroads I always keep one hand free to do the palm up "hand" to the neighbors that wave. I can drive down a road I've never been and have people "wave" to me. And they have more than 1 finger up! So strange........

Wow, y'all, stereotype much?
roll.png
In the rural south, men wave and on occasion, women will, but it's usually the men. Trust me, we have a whole slew of Yankees in the south-not that many true Southerners anymore, it seems at times. You'll be fine! People are generally very friendly.

Nosir Speckled Hen....at Backyard Chickens we certainly don't
go for stereotyping anybody. We just plain ole don't care what
kind of stereo they have.

But I do have an 8 track stereo in one of the cars. I still have to
go down to Tennessee to buy new tapes. Only place I can still
get them---little store In Johnson City.

But I did forget to tell Chicken Fruit that it's SO much easier to learn
peoples names in the south...Dey's Big Bubba, Little Bubba, other Bubba.
Even heard of Hubba Bubba down there.

And while it's true enough that you have a whole slew of Yankess in the
South...there's not so many Southerners in the North. We let our prisoners
go after the war.

Back
Top Bottom