Remind me again... When do you start counting incubation days?

Since this is my first hatch and all, I am just scared to open it. Shouldn't I wait until they dry out anyway?

I have 20 chicks this morning.. (plus 4 hatched under my broody hen.) They started hatching yesterday as well.

Since this is my first hatch and all, I am just scared to open it. Shouldn't I wait until they dry out anyway?

I have 20 chicks this morning.. (plus 4 hatched under my broody hen.) They started hatching yesterday as well.
How long you wait is totally up to you. If you are more comfortable waiting then by all means wait. I remove mine usually within a half hour to the brooder under the light (that is actually warmer than my incubator.) It's scary when all you hear is negative things about opening the bator. I was like that for my first hatch to. And then I discovered the trueth and the fact that not everyone does the same or believes the same and nothing is certain in the hatching world. I learned that it's ok to take precautions and err on the side of safety but that what other's do and believe should not define me as a hatcher and if something was working for me to not feel guilty or let others make me feel guilty because my way is not their way. I'm an advocate for finding what works for you and what is comfortable for you despite what anyone else does.

How many more do you have to hatch?

How long you wait is totally up to you. If you are more comfortable waiting then by all means wait. I remove mine usually within a half hour to the brooder under the light (that is actually warmer than my incubator.) It's scary when all you hear is negative things about opening the bator. I was like that for my first hatch to. And then I discovered the trueth and the fact that not everyone does the same or believes the same and nothing is certain in the hatching world. I learned that it's ok to take precautions and err on the side of safety but that what other's do and believe should not define me as a hatcher and if something was working for me to not feel guilty or let others make me feel guilty because my way is not their way. I'm an advocate for finding what works for you and what is comfortable for you despite what anyone else does.

How many more do you have to hatch?
Thank you again for being so helpful. Honestly with a 58% healthy hatch this morning, I already feel like a pro with 50% being average!! When many are getting much less.

I had 12-14 chicks to go this morning. I'm actually going to run home and check on them shortly. I'll make my decision from there to take them out or not (dry ones only)
I noticed they weren't drying out very fast in the incubator, I assume due to multiple hatches happening at once and higher humidity.
What humidity level is ok to open the bator?
It's pretty humid here today, and I am hatching in my barn shop with the door open.
Should I have a wet rag or something to throw in if I do open it?

Also is it ok to put my chicks under broody in the brooder with the incubated chicks?
I usually pull mine from brooder, but wasn't sure if I could mix them this yearly in the game.

Well I made an executive descison to pull them out. They were still all sticky and wet look. I put the two that looked to have hatched the most recent back in there for now.

Humidity was at 88, and dipped to 73ish as I removed chicks and shells.
Didn't see any more pips, so hopefully they are ok.
Temp dropped to 97. I put a wet washcloth in there before closing it back up.
Remaining 12 eggs going to be ok?

Humidity was at 88, and dipped to 73ish as I removed chicks and shells.
Didn't see any more pips, so hopefully they are ok.
Temp dropped to 97. I put a wet washcloth in there before closing it back up.
Remaining 12 eggs going to be ok?

Sounds great. I would venture to say that you did no damage to the others whatsoever. If they were fine before, they should be fine now. Congrats, and good luck with the rest! You got some adorable babies there.

Thank you. I actually didn't think about the washcloth hurting things. I have my hubby checking it now. Really I was ok with it at 73 humidity, so I guess it didn't need wash cloth

Back
Top Bottom