Removing/trimming rooster spurs

I saw the video here for removing the spur sheath. We've always cut the spur but sometimes got too close and it bled. This video looked too good to be true. Caught a rooster that day, got my pliers,held the leg firmly, clamped the spur with the pliers, rocked it a little, and I was amazed to see the sheath slip off. The "quick" had very little blood and the rooster did not seem to notice at all. Caught another rooster and it was the same easy job. My husband is able to take some off with just his fingers, but it just depends. Our roosters are bantams and they attack us regularly, so we went on a "spur party" at dusk when they went to roost. We went through all the "bad boys" quickly. To catch them and clip spurs is difficult because of the time involved. I'll never go back to the old way. Roosters are not tramautized.

The case for removing spurs is an easy one when you consider the possible consequences of not doing it.

I had a wonderful Brahma roo who broke his leg while dismounting his perch, getting his leg hung up on his long spur. He died after complications.

Recently, I removed the spurs on a Welsummer hen after I had noticed they were getting to an alarming length. Spurs on hens may be rare, but they can be dangerous, too.

They do grow back and if u pull of the spur it is soft and it naturally hardens back into a hard spur but I don't like to do it that way I take dog toe nail clippers and round and snip off the Spurs so they arnt sharp or sharp enough to hurt he hens my rooster is nice so I don't have to worry about him spurring me

When you cut off a roosters spur it comes back right??? Can you burn it off like you would with calf/lamb horns so it cant grow back??????

Generally when trimming or removing spurs the tissue from which spur originated remains intact. Birds that I work on with respect to spurs are usually more than 2 years old and can be expected to live several more. For a variety of reasons I like to cut off spur about 3/4 inch from base leaving a flat end using a hack saw. Bleeds a little but regrowth of pointy tip takes longer than if you twist entire outer spur off. Process needs to be repeated about every two years. Spur growth varies with some birds growing spurs faster than others.

So let me just say this....... WE TRIMMED OFF CAMO's(our rooster) SPURS!!! Woohoo.
It's been a debate with my husband on how? WHY? And I looked on here and on YouTube and after loosing a young hen(I knew what happened) LAST NIGHT WE DID IT!!!! Yeah!! So simple.
1. I waited until he was roosting(dusk)
2. Dremmel Tool (watch where you rest it, first spur, his leg got scuffed a little cause part of it rubbed on his leg
1f61e.png
)
3. Quick and easy, NO BLOOD, and it was over.

He is crowing and walking this morning. I don't know about the hens but he's gonna be a happy man!!

We tried the hot potato method last night and it worked!!!!
wee.gif

I kept finding posts about doing this and was very skeptical, but it worked extremely easily, with no blood at all!
We waited until it was dark and our Rooster was tired out from the day.
After heating up a medium size Potato in the microwave for just 3 minutes (you don't want it too mushy, or it will break apart) we then placed it into aluminum foil, to keep it hot until we got into the coop.
We also brought Styptic powder (cornstarch will also work, if you don't have the styptic), paper towels (just in case) and pliers.
With us both wearing headlights (one of us kept the light on the rooster's face, so that he couldn't see what we were doing, while the other light was kept on his feet), I held him close to my chest while my husband placed the hot potato onto both spurs. We held it there for about 5 minutes, after which time the potato was quickly removed and my husband very gently twisted the spur's sheath. We really didn't even need the the pliers, but they did enable a better grip. The spur sheath came right off! He then did the second one which came off just as easily. It took more time just holding the potato in place to soften the spurs, but it was well worth the while. Whoever came up with this idea was genius!
The new spurs are much smaller and they appear a bit tender but this morning he is fine.
Thank you to everyone who posted this idea! I hope my post will pass it along to help someone else.

I heated a medium size potato in the microwave for about 3 minutes on high, then placed it on the roosters spurs for 5 minutes. The sheaths both twisted right off with no blood. I highly recommend using this method. It's quick and easy on both you and the bird.

Could I feasibly lightly grind down my rooster's spurs with a dremel say, weekly or bi-weekly and expect them not to get long as long as I keep it up? My guy is about 8 months old and hasn't really grown any yet, but it would be nice if I could keep them short and blunt, like you do a show dog's toenails...

I personally would not do this, as I don't want to stress my birds if I don't have to, also, the potato method that we had used caused no blood at all. It was so simple, i was really surprised!

In addition because we did it in the dark, with just our headlights, he didn't even try to struggle, but there might be someone else on here, who could advise you better.

If the spurs are not large, I personally would not touch them. It's part of nature for them to come in, why give yourself work needlessly, unless it becomes a problem? I wish you all the best.

Back
Top Bottom