Rescued a Pekin. Advice Needed.

PB67

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 21, 2015
Western PA
.Poor guy spent the whole day under a car in a Ruby Tuesday parking lot. Brought him home and built a makeshift fence for him off of my partially enclosed back porch.

He's been coming inside at night, but this is only temporary (cause poop), but I know he's lonely and I want to keep him safe from predators.

I plan on getting him a companion or two come spring. Will he be okay alone until then, or should I try to find someone sooner?

Thanks for your advice.

Meet "Ruby"

I had 4' tall welded wire with a mesh gazebo over the top. So the mesh was blue and hard to see through, it was tight enough that mosquitos could not get through it. The dog tore through the mesh and bent the wire down to get in. The zip ties holding the wire fence to the t-posts were broken. It happened in less than 5 minutes. My hubby was outside, went into the house for approx 5 minutes, came back out and one duck was dead outside of the pen and the dog was running away with another duck.

Avian netting will keep birds out. But if Ruby will be outside during the night you will need solid fencing top and bottom to keep raccoons and other nocturnal predators out.

Ducks are slow and unable to fly or climb much so bad fencing is worse than none. It just keeps them cornered so that they are an easier meal. I found out the hard way.
hit.gif

Here is a great article I used when rebuilding my pen. http://www.carolinawaterfowlrescue.com/housing.html

Ruby might be a little lonely for the time being until you can get a companion for her. She should be quite happy if you spend time with her because then she won't be so alone and isolated. If you want to give her any snacks my pekins love lettuce and plain Cheerios! Ruby might enjoy sharing a treat with you too!!

You could put a mirror by ruby to help her feel like she has a friend. Between that, attention from you and a stuffed animal she should be ok. But the sooner she has real friends the better.

Thank you for rescuing her and providing her a home!!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Proud of you! You are right to consider predators - remember, they are more determined, stronger and smarter than any of us may realize. The unbreakable mirror idea sounds very good. Enjoy - ducks are such good company!

Ruby update.

Tried several treats for him (peas, cheerios, watermelon) and he just turns up his nose. Mealworms, on the other hand, NOM NOM NOM.

Got him a stuffed duck. His reaction: DO NOT WANT!

Put a mirror down, he honks at it and pecks the ground in front of it.

Fenced in an area off of the back porch and got his house. I just need to put a door on it and he'll be ready to move outside.

I had a stray dog come through similar fencing and kill two of my ducks. I hate to say it but you may want tougher fencing before letting Ruby out. A fox, coyote, bobcat, etc... can jump that and dogs can either jump or they will plow right through it. I put up a chain link dog kennel after I lost two of mine.

Also, I have red tail, red shoulder and cooper's hawks circling or even sitting on top of my fencing on many days. I had to put some mesh up to keep them and owls out. Again, dependent on flying predators you may want something over the top of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom