rescued hen is gurgling when breathing

insanity

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Northwest Wy
Late last night a friend of mine showed up at my place with 3 hens. He rescued them from another friend who "just wanted them gone". The original owner had them in a 3 sided shed, no bedding, snow for water and only fed cracked corn.It has been -40 with heavy snow and high winds for the last week.
Aside from frostbite the leghorn and frizzle look pretty good but the white rock is in trouble. She gurgles loud when she breaths and gets exhausted very quickly. I think it is pneumonia. She is still eating, has good body weight and is even laying. I put her in a heated (40-45F) lighted (18hrs) coop with all the food and water she can ever want, but not sure what else to do for her. Any ideas or tips would be great.

Thanks

You can try baytril if you can't get Hold of that try Tylan 50. You can get it at any feed Store. It will say for cattle and swine on it but NOT to worry many poultry owners have been very successful in using it for respiratory tract symptoms. If she is a large Bird her dose is 1/2 cc small birds are 1/4 cc given once daily into the breast muscle for 5 to 7 days. You should have no trouble finding syringes at the feed Store for the Tylan. Being she is so sick I don't think water soluble antibiotic would be good because dose is continent on amount drank. And they don't drink as much when sick. Keep in mind if it's a virus the antibiotic won't kill a virus but WILL help prevent a secondary illness. Hope this helps best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom