Reseller busineses....?

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Whats the consensus? I got my opinions, but not sure how others feel... i cant stand these peopke that buy bulk straight run birds from hatcheries and re sell them at their home business and act like they hatched them theirself... its not just chickens... rabbits, turkeys, peacocks, quail....

These birds cant be healthy... they have no certification papers...

They buy em for $2 and sell them for $4...

Whats yalls opinions....?

I don't see a problem with it. There is a need for small purchases of chicks. Think of the populated areas with ordinances of only 4 or 6 pullet/hens. They need a place to purchase pullets and in small amounts. You can't get 4 chicks from a hatchery.

As for papers...not sure what that means. Hatcheries are tested and most chicks automatically vaccinated. Unless for some reason a persons holding area is contaminated for disease the chicks are healthy. If there is disease rest assure they'd be shut down.

As for profit, well, if you buy a pair of shoes there is a mark up of 100 to 200%. In retail it's backwards from common markup percentage. Say your mark up is 50%, one would assume that means if you obtained item for $1 it would be sold for $1.50. That is not the case in retail. The mark up is calculated from selling price. A $1 item at 50% markup is sold for $2. In the case of furniture and shoes the markups are staggering and why 50% off sales are common.

Not to steal this thread or change it's direction of original opinion of reseller business but do think there should be some clarification of "papers" and a healthy bird.

If a city requires a permit for a flock that paper does not mean it's healthy. I currently don't have any testing or papers on my flock yet they are healthy. I did purchase eggs to hatch from a NPIP flock but that does not ensure my birds are currently healthy. In the future I will be NPIP certified so I can sell across state lines but there again that wont mean my birds are disease free. The number of diseases tested for in a certification program is state dependent. Some states only require one test, so the birds can be carriers of other diseases but still pass inspection if not showing symptoms.

What I'm driving at is no amount of paperwork is guarantee of healthy birds. Nor is a bird automatically suspect of health because it isn't in a program that tests once a year and only for one or two diseases.

Sorry to hijack and no malice is intended. I just felt a need to clarify what paperwork is.

The only thing that would bug me about buying someone's extra chicks is if they present them as though they hatched the chicks themselves. Why not be upfront about it and just say something like "I had to order 15 minimum from Hatchery X but I only wanted 3". Being deceitful about stuff just goes against my grain and might make me think twice about dealing with a dishonest person.

I don't see a problem with someone getting them for $2 and selling them for more...afterall, they incurred shipping cost and costs to keep the chicks fed until they were sold (not to mention time cleaning up pasty butts, changing waterers and bedding, etc.).

Good points... nothing garentees health, even papers... but i like to see papers just to know that attempts are made to keep them healthy to pass inspections... if people have papers you can assume that they watch birds closer for illnesses...

It Dont bother me about prices... doesnt effect me...

Ive bought birds years and years ago from mass sellers... the birds never seemed to have the quality or tempurment as birds you would get from a private seller that is way more involved in their birds... i can see a huge difference most of the time..

Im not a fan... i only buy from small breeders that take care of their birds... that just my opinion though.... most of my experiances come with other kinds of birds, not chickens though...

Back
Top Bottom