Reservations about Bag Balm preventing frostbite

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
I have read that Vaseline and Bag Balm are good for preventing frostbite on chickens' combs and wattles. This personally does not make any sense to me, and I would like to learn more about why this would help instead of hurt. In the articles that I've read it doesn't say why this stuff works, only that it does.

The reason that I'm suspicious is because Bag Balm is meant for moisturizing dry, chapped skin. Moisture is what causes frostbite, and if you are putting moisture on a chicken's comb, wouldn't that just lead to frostbite? I know people swear by this stuff, but nevertheless I don't see any reason why this would be beneficial. I guess what I'm looking for is the science involved that explains why it works.

Thank you for any info!

I have read that Vaseline and Bag Balm are good for preventing frostbite on chickens' combs and wattles. This personally does not make any sense to me, and I would like to learn more about why this would help instead of hurt. In the articles that I've read it doesn't say why this stuff works, only that it does.

The reason that I'm suspicious is because Bag Balm is meant for moisturizing dry, chapped skin. Moisture is what causes frostbite, and if you are putting moisture on a chicken's comb, wouldn't that just lead to frostbite? I know people swear by this stuff, but nevertheless I don't see any reason why this would be beneficial. I guess what I'm looking for is the science involved that explains why it works.

Thank you for any info!
I happen to agree with you. If you put something on the comb with a freezing point that is higher than the expected lows it should enhance frostbite, not prevent it.

Based on my own experience with frostbite on combs, I'd skip applying Bag Balm (or any petroleum-based product like Vaseline) to try to prevent frostbite. In theory, it acts as an "occlusive moisturizer" - this site has more information that you may find interesting.

I had the unpleasant experience of having a rooster lose most of his comb due to a comb injury that I sprayed with Vetericyn...followed by a night of unusually cold temperatures. His comb was shriveled and black the next morning, poor fellow. 😔Lesson learned: only use Vetericyn on combs in warm weather.

About two years ago, a person had their chickens get frostbite after applying Vaseline:

I tried on some Vaseline last night on my chickens, and when I came in today all my birds save for the two EEs and one Legbar hen had frostbite. The temperature inside the coop showed -2°C & 78% humidity; both numbers which my chickens and even my CCL rooster had survived with intact combs several nights in a row before. The Vaseline which I had hoped would protect my birds from frostbite seems to have made things worse by moisturizing the combs further than they already were, so I will not use it again on my chickens, ever. My saving grace is that I so afraid of doing an inexperienced, capital mistake that I only put on a thin layer on each bird, so the frostbite didn't go deep into the combs. The surface flesh is greyed instead of purple or black, and does not look swollen; I believe the affected spots will scab and peel off without taking any spikes or wattle with them. I've learned my lesson though; no Vaseline for me and my humid climate @x@

Here's a link to the post I got it from:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...and-comb-pecking.1342127/page-2#post-22016546

Moisture is what causes frostbite

What do you mean by moisture causing frostbite? While the damage is from the natural moisture in animal tissues freezing, it's caused by overexposure to cold. You can't get rid of an animal's natural moisture without killing them, and increasing the moisture in the body does not increase the risk of getting frostbite (at least in humans, the opposite seems to be true--dehydration increases risk of frostbite when exposed to low temps)

What do you mean by moisture causing frostbite? While the damage is from the natural moisture in animal tissues freezing, it's caused by overexposure to cold. You can't get rid of an animal's natural moisture without killing them, and increasing the moisture in the body does not increase the risk of getting frostbite (at least in humans, the opposite seems to be true--dehydration increases risk of frostbite when exposed to low temps)
I mean that if there is an excessive amount of moisture, then that increases the risk of frostbite due to the cold. If I stick my hand in water right now and went outside in -2°F with my hand wet, I would quickly get frostbite compared to my other hand that is dry. My thinking is, if bag balm is a moisturizer, it is going to put an excessive amount if moisture on the comb and cause frostbite due to how cold it is. The water evaporates, bringing the body heat with it.

I hope this clears up what I'm trying to say, and I hope I'm understanding your question correctly.

Last edited:
I mean that if there is an excessive amount of moisture, then that increases the risk of frostbite due to the cold. If I stick my hand in water right now and went outside in -2°F with my hand wet, I would quickly get frostbite compared to my other hand that is dry. My thinking is, if bag balm is a moisturizer, it is going to put an excessive amount if moisture on the comb and cause frostbite due to how cold it is. The water evaporates, bringing the body heat with it.

I hope this clears up what I'm trying to say, and I hope I'm understanding your question correctly.

Ok, that makes sense. It appeared that you were saying that moisture was the cause, in and of itself, of frostbite. Water can definitely increase the risk if it's coating something, as it will cause you to get colder faster. I'm not sure if moisturizers would do the same though...as oil is a moisturizer, despite having no water in it. Also, it is advised to keep skin from being dry and cracked in the winter time to help avoid frostbite by keeping it moist (with lotions, etc). Probably has more to do with keeping the skin healthy enough to avoid excessive damage, though. Definitely an important subject to look into.

Water can definitely increase the risk if it's coating something, as it will cause you to get colder faster. I'm not sure if moisturizers would do the same though...as oil is a moisturizer, despite having no water in it. Also, it is advised to keep skin from being dry and cracked in the winter time to help avoid frostbite by keeping it moist (with lotions, etc).

Although devoid of water, oils are still liquids, and so can freeze. And keeping the skin moist to avoid cracking, that is for humans (who live indoor in dry houses during winter), not chickens (who live in coops not always isolated and ventilated, where it is cold and humid). Their living conditions are not the same as ours, so their needs differ from ours by default.

As for dry and cracked skin leading to frostbite if not moisturized, I believe this sequence happens in reverse for chickens, with the comb getting frostbitten first, which cracks open the skin and makes the bird bleed when temps get a bit warmer. The blood then dries and scabs over, and eventually peels off along with the dead flesh. That's what I saw happen on my own flock, at least.

Back
Top Bottom