Respiratory treatment. Respite?

broodybird

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 8, 2014
California
This morning 3 of my 16 girls emerged from the coop with what I can only describe as wheezing! Some sneezing from two of them and another seems to be coughing (can chickens cough?). One of the two that is sneezing also has a hoarse voice -- her egg song today sounded like a raspy jazz singer with a bad case of laryngitis.

I suspect a respiratory issue and I scoured the web for treatments. I came across a product called Respite. But it seems it's not available in the US, only in the UK. Is there an alternative remedy or comparable product I should try?

I have Tylan Soluble Powder in my chicken first aid kit. That's the 100. I think the 50 is the injectible, which I do NOT have. I've used the soluble powder before for what I vaguely recall was a similar problem, and it worked marvelously. I mixed 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water. Do you suppose I should just jump straight to the Tylan and treat the whole flock? Easier that way, for sure. I can just put it in all the water fountains. Makes it a no brainer.

After looking up Respite for chickens, it sounds like an herbal treatment with garlic as a main ingredient. You can give a little raw garlic in their water. Some use a little oregano also, but I have no isea how much. Coughing or sneezing, and noisy breathing can be signs of a respiratory virus such as infectious bronchitis, the most common of chicken respiratory diseases. That does not require an antibiotic, but if there is nasal or eye drainage, swelling around an eye or the face, or severe gasping or congestion, then an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 injectable might be helpful . Bacterial diseases such as MG or coryza are more serious, and make carriers of the flock. Tylan 50 can be given orally or by a shot, and dosage is 0.25 ml per pound of weight twice a day.

Tylan powder dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. If they are looking pretty ill, that may help, or if they are looking okay, you could hold off and watch them. But make sure they are deinking well enough if they start the Tylan.

Amazing how quickly this spreads. This morning it was just three girls. By bed time, six all showing the same symptoms.

Started everyone on Tylan soluble, 1 teaspoon per gallon. I have a mixed flock with large breeds and banties, so I'm a little worried about the dosage for the little ones. Should I cut it back some, just to be safe?

Denagard is another option for respiratory problems. I have not had much success with Tylan, I still keep it on hand though.. Denagard is sold in the US for swine, the concentration is the same for poultry though. The U.K. and Europe have had great results with it and it has no issues with resistance and also no egg withdrawal! Some people do a preventative treatment every 30 days even. The dose is 8ml per gallon of water. Some people say their flock doesn't like the taste so they add a bit of sugar to the water but I have never had an issue with my multiple flocks rejecting water with Denagard. Valley Vet sells it and some other online farm suppliers if you can't find it locally. Use what you got for now though but Denagard is a literal lifesaver.

Here is a link to he U.K. info sheet on it, it hasn't been studied or labeled for poultry in the US cause few people care about chicken health and longevity as they are just seen as a commodity here. Thank goodness Europe does more research into Avian health.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/contents/novartis/novartis_poultry1.pdf

Denagard is another option for respiratory problems. I have not had much success with Tylan, I still keep it on hand though.. Denagard is sold in the US for swine, the concentration is the same for poultry though. The U.K. and Europe have had great results with it and it has no issues with resistance and also no egg withdrawal! Some people do a preventative treatment every 30 days even. The dose is 8ml per gallon of water. Some people say their flock doesn't like the taste so they add a bit of sugar to the water but I have never had an issue with my multiple flocks rejecting water with Denagard. Valley Vet sells it and some other online farm suppliers if you can't find it locally. Use what you got for now though but Denagard is a literal lifesaver.

Here is a link to he U.K. info sheet on it, it hasn't been studied or labeled for poultry in the US cause few people care about chicken health and longevity as they are just seen as a commodity here. Thank goodness Europe does more research into Avian health.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/contents/novartis/novartis_poultry1.pdf
Denard sounds like the perfect solution. Thank you for the details. I'm going to keep them on the Tylan for this bout because I have it here now and I can't afford to wait until the Denagard arrives. But I'm placing an order for it because it makes sense to keep this on hand.

On the Tylan, can anyone tell me if I should reduce the dosage amount (1 teaspoon to 1 gallon of water) for my smaller birds? I'm worried about overdosing the banties.

On the Tylan, can anyone tell me if I should reduce the dosage amount (1 teaspoon to 1 gallon of water) for my smaller birds? I'm worried about overdosing the banties.
Fear not, the one teaspoon per gallon dose will be fine. The time you used the 1/8 teaspoon dose you didn't give enough, and I'm surprised it worked, but glad it did. :D Tylosin (Tylan) is one of the safer antibiotics, so no need to worry.

Back
Top Bottom