Retrievers or Spaniels!?

• Total voters
After thinking about it, I cast my vote for Both. But caveat, I don't hunt, so I'm seeing pretty much all dogs as mostly pets/ companions. I believe all dogs are "working dogs" in the sense that in order to be healthy and happy, every dog needs to have a job with a clearly defined job description. In most cases, that job description is, "make the people in my family happy." That can involve playing with the kids, lying under your feet at your computer desk, snoring the day away while everyone is at work or school (and not destroying the house), getting along with the cat, doing agility or just playing fetch or frisbee, watching over the property, barking at intruders, walking politely on leash, not jumping up on people, basically having good manners and being a good citizen. This doesn't happen by the owners sticking the dog in the back yard and throwing food out the door twice a day. Owning a dog is a privilege and a responsibility. Having a good dog takes work and dedication, whatever its breed or genetic mash-up.

After thinking about it, I cast my vote for Both. But caveat, I don't hunt, so I'm seeing pretty much all dogs as mostly pets/ companions. I believe all dogs are "working dogs" in the sense that in order to be healthy and happy, every dog needs to have a job with a clearly defined job description. In most cases, that job description is, "make the people in my family happy." That can involve playing with the kids, lying under your feet at your computer desk, snoring the day away while everyone is at work or school (and not destroying the house), getting along with the cat, doing agility or just playing fetch or frisbee, watching over the property, barking at intruders, walking politely on leash, not jumping up on people, basically having good manners and being a good citizen. This doesn't happen by the owners sticking the dog in the back yard and throwing food out the door twice a day. Owning a dog is a privilege and a responsibility. Having a good dog takes work and dedication, whatever its breed or genetic mash-up.
I love this. :love

This is so true!

Pikelet has found her love for birds now 😆 after one of the quails escaped and she helped me catch it . Its still not what I would consider a high prey drive but she is a lot more interested in birds then she was before
Tucker has high prey drive. I have one chicken who is seperated from the others in a small coop and cage outside the normal run. He points at her and tries to grab her, just like he did with my ducks.
Maybe Pikelet will be a bird dog!

Back
Top Bottom