Retrievers or Spaniels!?

• Total voters
I disagree hugely with this, I don’t want to clutter up Dawg’s thread so I won’t argue or explain my opinions. If Dawg wants more of my opinion then I am happy to help!
Ok, just explaining what has worked for us. My family has had 8 labs and several other breeds of dogs, and I've trained a number of dogs for other people of different breeds.
The same thing has always worked.

All of our dogs are perfectly behaved and have an extremely strong bond to all of us. They are confident and have great style while working.
They don't act up around new people, they know their place.
I like any kind of dog if it's well mannered and behaved, even if it's some ugly mutt. But the majority of dogs have a lot of issues still. And hesitate or flat out refuse to listen especially when other people are around. I don't want that in any of our dogs and this is the best way we've found of achieving that.

I disagree hugely with this, I don’t want to clutter up Dawg’s thread so I won’t argue or explain my opinions. If Dawg wants more of my opinion then I am happy to help!

Ok, just explaining what has worked for us. My family has had 8 labs and several other breeds of dogs, and I've trained a number of dogs for other people of different breeds.
The same thing has always worked.

All of our dogs are perfectly behaved and have an extremely strong bond to all of us. They are confident and have great style while working.
They don't act up around new people, they know their place.
I like any kind of dog if it's well mannered and behaved, even if it's some ugly mutt. But the majority of dogs have a lot of issues still. And hesitate or flat out refuse to listen especially when other people are around. I don't want that in any of our dogs and this is the best way we've found of achieving that.
I appreciate both of you having shared your opinions and I’m going to consider all the options first.

That said, I think there’s a lot of confusion on both sides (not necessarily you guys, just in general) where one side thinks the other loves hurting dogs and the other thinks everything is all cookies all the time but there’s a lot of middle ground. I also don’t think it’s impossible to get respect with only positive reinforcement as there wouldn’t be as many champion agility or whatever sport dogs otherwise. BUT! I do think you have to be skilled and also they DO eventually taper the cookies off and I think that’s where your neighbor has failed. They’re not supposed to use cookies for life. You wean them off no matter what method is used.

That said, I do use an e collar for Brew for when he’s off leash just for security. I’m pretty sure he would come back and he doesn’t even stray very far anyway but just in case. But I usually just use the vibrate setting now anyway. He’s not scared though, he comes running cause he knows it means we’re going hiking or on the marsh or wherever. He doesn’t wear it in our yard or on leash but anywhere else where he’s off leash.

But yeah, enough rambling from me lol

Thank you both.

Already have! LOL

Excellent, excellent
Season 9 Phoebe GIF by Friends

Oh those burrs :barnie! And my dog doesn’t even have really long fur, I trim it during the summer. But after every walk I spend more than half an hour pulling burrs off her.
Ive never got one burr on my pups yet. But we also haven't went to places with tons of burrs yet
It would be a nightmare to take them where we deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom