reviews on hoover's hatchery?

Pics

SilkieSanctuary

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2016
I am thinking about getting some silkies, lavender orpingtons, and silver laced wyandottes from hoover hatchery. I will be doing in store pick up. Thoughts on hoover hatcheries stock and health of birds?

Hi! We ordered our chickens (first time chicken owners) last year from Hoover's Hatchery. Their minimum is 25.
We decided to go with 10 White Leghorns, 10 Easter Egger/Americana and 5 RIR - got one RIR extra :)
Their customer service is very nice and helpful.
All chicks survived and looked very healthy. And they still are.

Their min order now is 15 and free shipping

I

ordered from Hoover hatchery for the first time even though I couldn't believe their cheap prices coupled with no reviews so I wasn't sure about them but I ordered any way.
I was nervous about ordering from them, just because I have never ordered chicks before (I'm new at this and bought my leghorns from Tractor Supply). I ordered 10 Ameraucanas. The USPS is terrible at keeping up with tracking info and I was worried they would be in the box for way too long. I picked them up from the post office this morning. They were so loud and alert! To my surprise we had 2 hitchhikers in there. I am the proud mama of 12 fluffy little Ameraucanas who seem to be doing great after their travels :)

Attachments

• 20170802_091931.jpg
    20170802_091931.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Do you really want to know?

I just received my chicks from Hoover's Hatchery, through Tractor Supply, yesterday (Thursday). When I went to the post office (10 minutes after they received them), there was no chirps or movement coming from the box. Even the post master was upset. When I got them home 5 minutes later, I discovered three DOA and the rest barely holding on. After working all morning & afternoon hand watering (Electrolytes) them, three more have passed. All in all, six of 11 chicks have died in the hours since receiving them. Come to find out, from a post somewhere here, they shipped them out during a blizzard. Unsurprisingly, I don't give them a high rating
1f627.png

The chicks are shipped the day they hatch, regardless of weather, nothing can be done about that, a chick only has about 3 days to get where it's going without starving or thirsting to death, bad weather is a gamble you take when ordering chicks, it's not the hatchery's fault. I time my orders for late spring, fairly moderate temps and no likelihood of delays from snow storms.

I just got 75 meat chicks and a few layers yesterday all are doing great

I just received my patch of 10 unsexed turkey chicks broiler. All healthy little thirsty but all health and eating I attached pictures after I unwrapped the box.

Attachments

• IMG_4758.JPG
    IMG_4758.JPG
    462.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4759.JPG
    IMG_4759.JPG
    477.3 KB · Views: 105
I pulled out the packing slip a little bit ago and noticed that at the bottom it is stamped "Mareks Vaccination Completed". I really hope that is an error! I'm waiting to hear back from them
rant.gif

ETA they said they don't know for sure but its likely they were vaccinated, but its okay because they won't charge me for it
roll.png

Three faverolles have died since this morning. All the rare breeds they sent were faverolles, so I don't know if the ones that died were my pullets or straight run rares. (sigh)
That kind of mistake with the vaccinations would really upset me. Hopefully that's not the case. Sorry to hear about your chicks dying.

Back
Top Bottom