reviews on hoover's hatchery?

Hi! We ordered our chickens (first time chicken owners) last year from Hoover's Hatchery. Their minimum is 25.
We decided to go with 10 White Leghorns, 10 Easter Egger/Americana and 5 RIR - got one RIR extra :)
Their customer service is very nice and helpful.
All chicks survived and looked very healthy. And they still are.

Do you really want to know?

I just received my chicks from Hoover's Hatchery, through Tractor Supply, yesterday (Thursday). When I went to the post office (10 minutes after they received them), there was no chirps or movement coming from the box. Even the post master was upset. When I got them home 5 minutes later, I discovered three DOA and the rest barely holding on. After working all morning & afternoon hand watering (Electrolytes) them, three more have passed. All in all, six of 11 chicks have died in the hours since receiving them. Come to find out, from a post somewhere here, they shipped them out during a blizzard. Unsurprisingly, I don't give them a high rating
1f627.png

Last edited:
I pulled out the packing slip a little bit ago and noticed that at the bottom it is stamped "Mareks Vaccination Completed". I really hope that is an error! I'm waiting to hear back from them
rant.gif

ETA they said they don't know for sure but its likely they were vaccinated, but its okay because they won't charge me for it
roll.png

Three faverolles have died since this morning. All the rare breeds they sent were faverolles, so I don't know if the ones that died were my pullets or straight run rares. (sigh)

Last edited:
So we are 3ish weeks out all mine have survived.... But 2 seem small....one of the two is catching up but one i have dubbed pretty virl is not much bigger than when we got them. Both are rhodes. Contacted hoovers via email and am waiting for a reply. The smaller ones are plenty active and pretty girl tends to hang with our americanas lol. She loves to cuddle and is the most docile out of all of them

All of my Hoover's birds are growing a bit slower than the EEs that I got from Tractor Supply a few days later but are maturing about the same as the RIRs from TSC. Maybe RIRs are slower to develop? I didn't think so, assuming they are production quality not heritage.
hu.gif
The Amberlinks are definitely production birds and supposed to be fast maturing, I thought, but they are going a bit slow as well.

She is still on the nest waiting for the chicks that should ship today.This Buff Orphington came from a feed store that gets their chicks from Estes hatchery.Super excited to see what the hatchery choice is.
SAM_5733.JPG

UPDATE I got a tracking number :wee

They added shipping location
WHY are they being shipped from SAINT PAUL, MN 55111 ?????
I wanted closer to home for less time in shipping not happy about this. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom