reviews on hoover's hatchery?

Great variety of stock at Hoover's Hatchery. Purchased 15 chicks, their minimum, on March 5, 2017 online. Selected Golden Laced Wyandotte (2), Speckled Sussex (2), Barred Rock (2), Black Australorp (2), Americana (2), Salmon Faverolle (2), and Tetra Brown (3). Received order confirmation email promptly with my chosen ship date (approximate) of April 18, 2017. The online ordering process was simple.

I had a few questions along the way before my ship date. Their phone service was polite, proper and professional. Their email response time lagged, was somewhat abbreviated and not very informative. Overall customer service provided the needed information when I called and spoke live with them.

My order shipped on time April 18, 2017. The expected delivery date per their website is 1 to 2 days from ship date. They guarantee live chick delivery (chicks live off of the egg yolk eaten at birth for the first 2 to 3 days therefore need no further sustenance during this interval.)

Chicks arrived at my post office 3 days later on April 21, 2017. A quick check discovered that there would be some casualties. Four chicks were DOA (2 Salmon Faverolles, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 Americana.) Additionally, there were only 14 chicks in total in the box so I was shorted 1 Tetra Brown chick. Upon closer examination, I discovered that the 2 Tetra Browns shipped in the box were 2 ISA Browns actually. They have a place during the online ordering process to accept or decline substitute breeds based on availability at the time of shipment however I declined this option. Evaluating the rest of the flock we had three chicks that were in poor condition. I lost 2 of the 10 originally received live chicks within 48 hrs. My total live chicks, healthy, turned out to be 8 (out of 15 ordered.)

Customer service refunded my money for all chicks lost, and mistaken breeds, without hesitation and with appropriate care. 7 days after the date of shipment finds the 8 surviving chicks in good condition and lively

Great variety of stock at Hoover's Hatchery. Purchased 15 chicks, their minimum, on March 5, 2017 online. Selected Golden Laced Wyandotte (2), Speckled Sussex (2), Barred Rock (2), Black Australorp (2), Americana (2), Salmon Faverolle (2), and Tetra Brown (3). Received order confirmation email promptly with my chosen ship date (approximate) of April 18, 2017. The online ordering process was simple.

I had a few questions along the way before my ship date. Their phone service was polite, proper and professional. Their email response time lagged, was somewhat abbreviated and not very informative. Overall customer service provided the needed information when I called and spoke live with them.

My order shipped on time April 18, 2017. The expected delivery date per their website is 1 to 2 days from ship date. They guarantee live chick delivery (chicks live off of the egg yolk eaten at birth for the first 2 to 3 days therefore need no further sustenance during this interval.)

Chicks arrived at my post office 3 days later on April 21, 2017. A quick check discovered that there would be some casualties. Four chicks were DOA (2 Salmon Faverolles, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 Americana.) Additionally, there were only 14 chicks in total in the box so I was shorted 1 Tetra Brown chick. Upon closer examination, I discovered that the 2 Tetra Browns shipped in the box were 2 ISA Browns actually. They have a place during the online ordering process to accept or decline substitute breeds based on availability at the time of shipment however I declined this option. Evaluating the rest of the flock we had three chicks that were in poor condition. I lost 2 of the 10 originally received live chicks within 48 hrs. My total live chicks, healthy, turned out to be 8 (out of 15 ordered.)

Customer service refunded my money for all chicks lost, and mistaken breeds, without hesitation and with appropriate care. 7 days after the date of shipment finds the 8 surviving chicks in good condition and lively

Good review. Do you mind sharing where you are and the type of temps they traveled through? It seems like such a high loss if temps were good, but you never know what else they go through.

Did you get any vaccinations for them?

Good review. Do you mind sharing where you are and the type of temps they traveled through? It seems like such a high loss if temps were good, but you never know what else they go through.

Did you get any vaccinations for them?
We are located in the Transverse Mountain Range in California (Central to Southern part of state) at 4,500 ft above sea level and zone 8b. Temperatures ranged from 40F to 76F with some light precipitation and little to no wind throughout their journey (no data on climate during air flight transportation.) No heat pack in box. It did take 3 days travel instead of 2 days to arrive at our post office - we picked up within the hour of receipt there.

Coccidiosis vaccination was administered by Hoover's Hatchery.

Yes, this is excessive loss and saddening.

Last edited:
All 15 of mine are doing well. 1 of the stunted is in popsicle stick splints because she wont walk normal. And shes about a 1/4 size of other chicks. Other stunted is about 1/2 size of other chicks and walks fine. Hoovers did refund me for my stunted ones no questions asked....and said both should lay eggs just will take them much longer than our full size. They are all prit near 8 weeks old now and are out in garage cuz got way too big for the brooder

Do you really want to know?

I just received my chicks from Hoover's Hatchery, through Tractor Supply, yesterday (Thursday). When I went to the post office (10 minutes after they received them), there was no chirps or movement coming from the box. Even the post master was upset. When I got them home 5 minutes later, I discovered three DOA and the rest barely holding on. After working all morning & afternoon hand watering (Electrolytes) them, three more have passed. All in all, six of 11 chicks have died in the hours since receiving them. Come to find out, from a post somewhere here, they shipped them out during a blizzard. Unsurprisingly, I don't give them a high rating
1f627.png

The chicks are shipped the day they hatch, regardless of weather, nothing can be done about that, a chick only has about 3 days to get where it's going without starving or thirsting to death, bad weather is a gamble you take when ordering chicks, it's not the hatchery's fault. I time my orders for late spring, fairly moderate temps and no likelihood of delays from snow storms.

I just got 75 meat chicks and a few layers yesterday all are doing great

Well I sent out my order then checked on here to see if anyone else had pics of chicks they got.
I have coming Monday July 17th
5 Hatchery Choice Egg Layer sr
5 Hatchery Choice Rare sr
5 SPECKLED SUSSEX sr

She is still on the nest waiting for the chicks that should ship today.This Buff Orphington came from a feed store that gets their chicks from Estes hatchery.Super excited to see what the hatchery choice is.
SAM_5733.JPG

UPDATE I got a tracking number :wee

They added shipping location
WHY are they being shipped from SAINT PAUL, MN 55111 ?????
I wanted closer to home for less time in shipping not happy about this. :(

Last edited:
Well lost one DOA and one by morning.Customer service is great got the refund right away.I just had them apply it as credit as I wanted some more Sussex.
Well tonight I finally settled on what I was ordering.
So this is what I went for as I like the mystery of hatchery choice and besides rare/fancy males can be sold to local FFA/4H kids
Hoovers Hatchery
10 Hatchery Choice Rare Unsexed
5 SPECKLED SUSSEX Female

PS Buffy did not take to the chicks so they are back inside.
Plus I bid on some eggs
10+ pure chcocolate/chocolate cuckoo english orpington fertile hatching eggs
10+ Lavender Ameraucana hatching eggs
Super excited to add these to my flock guess I need to build some more pens.

Back
Top Bottom