Rhode Island Red age of laying

We got 6 RIR's and they are sure different than the Buff's I've always had. Not friendly and at 6 months, no eggs yet. Wondering if I made mistake of buying this kind as all my chickens usually will come to me (hoping for a treat) and are easy to deal with.

That is interesting to hear about RIR's being mean. Of my four hens, the RIR is the only one who pecks me. She started pecking me really hard on the back of my hand whenever I had it in front of her. I read that I should put my hand on her back and hold her down the way a rooster does, then pick her up and give her love after she relaxes. I guess it is an alpha thing, but it seems to be working. She hasn't pecked me in the past two days.

We've had a variety of different breeds and they have all been fairly friendly and good layers. The two RIR's we've had have taken the longest to start laying and have been by far our most skiddish and distrusting birds. They just don't seem to like us even though we raised them by hand from day 1. My wife and I decided the RIR is off the list for future additions to the flock. The BO's, BR's, australorps, and ameraucanas have all been sweethearts.

My RIR is only 11 weeks old, so she hasn't layed any eggs yet. Hopefully within another 15 weeks she'll have started laying. She has been extremely friendly, but we have handled her quite a bit since day one. She walks right up to us and let's us hold her by her belly (similar to my Cochin). Becky the RIR is so sweet
263a.png

Don't feel bad, I have 3 RIRs that aren't laying. Not sure their age, I bought them in July told spring peeps. They lost some feathers shortly after I purchased, assumed molting, so thought that's why not laying. Been several months and still nothing. Their combs are brightening and I've noticed feathers are getting a redder look as well. One is peeping like a chick. I'm hoping they start laying soon. I feed them a good layer crumble, along with table scraps, and give treats of corn, pumpkin, etc. Kinda tired of the slot machine effect, I feed it and get nothing back. I"m thinking of putting a sign on the coop, "if you ain't laying, you ain't staying". My husband reminded me they can't read. lol

We were planning on getting a batch of 25 straight run RIRs. This thread is making me question them as a breed choice. I was originally drawn to the RIR because they are relatively winter hardy and are dual purpose. We live on 10 acres of land, with an old coop 50 yards or so from our house. We live in the upper midwest, so winter hardiness is non negotiable.
This is our first adventure into chickens, so please excuse my ignorance. I just want to make the right decisions if at all possible.
I figure If we get our day old chicks early April, the boys should be ready for slaughter by July(?) at the earliest. And the hens would start laying by September(?) just in time for the daylength to start slowing them down.
So either we raise hens for pretty much a year before they start producing for us, or we install a light in the coop. Right now our coop has no electricity. This can be remedied, but at a few hundred dollars expense. ...Perhaps it is worth considering if we should induce our chickens to lay year round with supplemental light, or if we should allow them a winter rest.

I'm thinking now of getting a mixed batch of "heavies" rather than just one breed.
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/heavy_assorted_straight_run.html
Anybody else raising for both meat and eggs in the cold, like us?

I have 3 rir hens at 6 months old that have been laying about a week now. we have 10 rir now and have decided we going to get into buff orps because of personality.

I have a Barred Rock that started laying at 6 months which was during a below 0 two week stretch. She has layed every day since. Eggs are medium sized, but no biggie for me. Also have an Ameraucana same age that's been laying 4-5 eggs a week, medium eggs as well. RIRs are starting to lay, but nothing like those two little girls. One of the reds is yet to lay a formed egg, her's are soft. She's eating the same layer crumble, table scraps, scratch, and shells as everyone else. Someone told me it may take her awhile to get the hang of it. Awaiting chicks I ordered through local feed store, trying my hand at Black Australorps and adding two more Ameraucanas a favorite of the grand kids. All these breeds are very cold/heat hardy.

Interesting comment about personality. I only have four hens. Three are sweet, but my RIR is nasty mean and often attacks my hand when I am putting in food or changing water, etc. My barred rock is the sweetest angel.

Back
Top Bottom