Rhode Island Red age of laying

By far the honey of the bunch is the Barred Rock! My Ameraucana is a sweetie, too. Everything I've heard says they're skittish. My reds aren't mean, not the most friendly unless food is involved, then they can be a bit aggressive. Have 1 Black Wyandotte that is REAL nasty. Heard they were friendly and "lovable". She more or less isolates herself from the rest of the flock. And no, she isn't picked on, she's the bully. Even the roo is afraid of her. I guess like people everyone is different and can't be judged by breed.

This is our first adventure into chickens, so please excuse my ignorance. I just want to make the right decisions if at all possible.
Christy I am in a similar situation, first time getting chickens and debating breeds.

While RIRs sound like great layers it seems they do have a reputation for being aggressive or stand offish. My vet has a lot of chickens and he thinks they are fine but since I am new at this I want to aim for sweet and docile temperaments (or at least try to). I also want to free range my chickens part time and be able to call them and get the back in the coop so friendly is important to me.

I started this flock last July. Got the RIRs as I was told the best all around chicken, cold/heat hardy, good layers, non-aggressive. I will NEVER purchase another nor would I recommend them. My experience with them has not been favorable. I would pass them along, but I couldn't bear to know they become someone's dinner. So as long as not too overly aggressive, they're safe.

I purchasde my 6 newly hatched R.I.R hens 22 weeks ago and today I got my first egg, It was small, but perfect in shape. My R.I.R hens are not at all aggressive, and they will run from me, I have a very hard time getting them in the coop at night. One of them is a very dark red with yellow feet, I'm hoping to show her in the up coming fair. By the way, she still has not laid an egg.

big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have 4 RIR and 2 BO pullets, and 1 BO cockerel . The RIR's started laying around the 24 week old mark, but it is Winter here so I thought that wasn't too bad all things considered.

As far as their nature goes, they seem fine to me. They are not 'cuddle me' birds, but they are tame enough to eat from my hand and will follow me around the yard quite happily. They have never pecked me or flown at me, flapping. They sing the egg song for a minute or two when they lay but are otherwise very quiet in comparison to the BO's.

When I treat the birds for lice or injury, the RIR's are easier to handle than the BO's. They are a little skittish to catch, but once caught do not struggle or fight with me - they just lie there are take whatever I have to do to them!

With regards to eggs, they each usually lay a large brown egg, 5-6 times a week. I have only ever had 1 soft-shelled egg from one of them, otherwise they are perfect eggs.

I am enjoying this breed, and now that one of my BO's has gone broody I am giving her the RIR eggs to hatch for me. They have been such great layers and are low maintenance. The BO's have been a bit of a worry, with lice, injuries and broodiness, which seems to be their default setting! (They are sweet though, so that kind of makes up for it!)

Krista

my RIRs are 12-13 ish weeks old....I am patiently awaiting eggs....ahhhh the waiting is soooo hard lol I am a new chicken mama, we got them in april and I cannot wait til they start laying. I'm surprised to hear that some RIRs are mean.....ours are the friendliest of our flock.......they are the only ones my daughter can catch and pick up lol

I have two RIRs that are about 24 weeks and pretty close to laying. I got all my girls around Feb/March (first time chicken lady here), and I am really happy with the RIR girls. They come up to see me and have never been aggressive or mean. Overall very pleasant chickens. My Barred Rock and California White are more outgoing, but I raised them from one day old, unlike the RIR that I bought at four weeks. The Aracaunas are the only chickens that are a little standoffish, but that's ok. I love them all.

Back
Top Bottom