Rhode Island Red yes or no?

I do not have such photos readily available. An educational suggestion might be to consider looking at archives with the Association for Poultry Antiquities, the Livestock Breed Conservancy and UN FAO. In any event, enjoy the birds you have and consider chalking it up as learning experience if they are not what you really were seeking, then do not be a parton of that hatchery or breeder in the future!

Be well…

I do not believe that any commercial hatcheries are involved in breeding or maintaining conservation flocks of the Heritage RIR.

We maintain only a true bantam Class at this time of a 250 year old strain. However, The Association for Poultry Antiquities, the Livestock Breed Conservancy would be great resources for referring you to some conservation breeders who are in it for long haul.

If you want proof that hatcheries use Leghorns in other breeds, you're not going to get any. However, evidence suggests that there is some leghorn blood in a lot of hatchery birds.

Look at the 2 examples of hatchery birds at the top, compared with 2 examples of heritage birds underneath. See how the birds on the top have a body shape and tail angle closer to the leghorn? This would suggest leghorn blood in the birds. Also, the diluted color of the RIR and the poorly defined striping on the BR would suggest leghorn blood as well. This isn't concrete evidence, but I think this is the closest to proof you will get.
First, Leghorn was used to create the Rhode Island Red, so ALL Rhode Island Reds have Leghorn in them. Second, The type in those photos do not scream Leghorn. As far as the Barred Plymouth Rock, Dominique was used to create them. Google that as see if that is close to the type you are seeing here. That would also explain the less distinct barring due faster feathering. Exhibition Barred Plymouth Rocks have been selected for very slow feathering, which sharpened the barring. Why would Leghorn dilute the color of a Rhode Island Red, and affect the barring (striping") on a Barred Plymouth Rock? You have still offered no proof at all.

I do not believe that any commercial hatcheries are involved in breeding or maintaining conservation flocks of the Heritage RIR.

We maintain only a true bantam Class at this time of a 250 year old strain. However, The Association for Poultry Antiquities, the Livestock Breed Conservancy would be great resources for referring you to some conservation breeders who are in it for long haul.
What breed of Bantam do you have? Which strain?

Just a question, because I want to get REAL RIR's in the future:

Does CackleHatchery have pure bred RIRs? And what are they labeled as.

If not, are there other hatcheries that have them?

In my opinion no commercial hatchery has pure bred poultry at this point. If you desire to have pure bred birds you must find people in the show circuit. I would be glad to help anyone find what they are looking for. If you want to PM me I will try to help you however I can. I don't sell many birds anymore but I know a lot of people and would be glad to get you in touch with them.

Matt

First, Leghorn was used to create the Rhode Island Red, so ALL Rhode Island Reds have Leghorn in them. Second, The type in those photos do not scream Leghorn. As far as the Barred Plymouth Rock, Dominique was used to create them. Google that as see if that is close to the type you are seeing here. That would also explain the less distinct barring due faster feathering. Exhibition Barred Plymouth Rocks have been selected for very slow feathering, which sharpened the barring. Why would Leghorn dilute the color of a Rhode Island Red, and affect the barring (striping") on a Barred Plymouth Rock? You have still offered no proof at all.

Yes, Rhode Island Reds were created using leghorn and malay about 150 years ago. Once they were developed, however, they needed to maintain consistency and uniformity within the breed in order to be accepted into the APA. They no longer were breeding in different breeds, since a breed had already been created and needed to breed true for 5 generations in order to be accepted. This means that there is no reason for leghorns to be bred into RIR after they were developed, unless for the conscious purpose of increasing laying.
The leghorn suggestion is merely a theory, I was just pointing out how they may have some influence from leghorns resulting in their incorrect color and type. If you think this is not the case, perhaps you will be willing to suggest a reason why? You seem to be overly focused on the breeds used to create these birds. You have to understand that at the moment the APA accepted a breed, there is a standard for it, and you need to focus on the standard of that breed and not the breeds used to create it. A barred rock is not a dominique.
If you don't think that a white leghorn would dilute the color of a RIR or BR, you need a lesson on genetics. When chickens breed, their offspring exhibit a mix of both birds. Which is why a RIR bred to a white leghorn would be significantly lighter than a RIR, or a BR bred to a leghorn would have incomplete striping.

Back
Top Bottom