RIP Lilly :( :( - WE FOUND HER!

BoerneChickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Boerne, TX
We lost our Silkie today - she was 13 weeks old and out in the yard ranging with the full grown standard sized girls. I was home in a room where I can hear them and other than some egg songs early in the day I didn't hear anything. I went out mid afternoon to check them and to go pick up the kids from school and she was gone. There were no real signs of struggle - I did notice a few feathers but not many more than are normally in the yard. Her bantam buddy Athena seemed a little shaken up and was in her house on the roost, but the big girls were out in the yard as usual no signs of distress. I have them in my back yard - there is a 6 foot wooden fence all the way around the yard and the gaps under it have been blocked. We had a raccoon in the yard the other night - woudl a raccoon come in broad daylight? And if it was a raccoon I would think there would be more sign of a struggle? There are a few small scrawney feral cats in the neighborhood - but I can't imagine one of them would risk coming in the yard with the big girls. I am not sure if there are hawks in town - I know there are vultures sometimes.

Does anyone know what it might be? I'm afraid to let any of the girls out again for fear something will get them.

My kids and I are all in tears tonight. I wish I hadn't let her free range - she wasn't as quick as the ohers (with her feathery feet) and she couldn't see well around all her fluffy face feathers - I shoudl have know she would be an easy target.

50211_dsc_0007.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry you lost your girl. I would keep them all in until you find an answer. Maybe she's even still around hiding, is that possible in your yard? I've heard a lot of stories where someone is missing a chook and then they show up later or the owner finds them hiding somewhere. I hope that's all it is.
fl.gif

Quote:
I wish that were it - we searched the whole yard and the area around my yard - neighbors yards and the alley behind me - there was no sign of her. She usually peeps when she isn't with her buddy Athena and we didn't hear her anywhere either. I had heard cats won't usually mess with a grown chicken but I guess since she was so little maybe a cat braved it and grabbed her?

I am sorry for your loss.

Sounds to me like it was a hawk. They're everywhere and very silent. Vultures won't catch a live bird--they are the 'clean up crew' and only eat dead animals.

They're is still a chance and I hope she shows up after coming out of hiding.
fl.gif

Last edited:
I FOUND HER!!! She is ok! Somehow she managed to crawl down into one of the cement blocks that are the foundation of the coop! This morning when I went out to get the eggs I heard a muffled peep coming from the ground in the corner - I ran into the coop and got down and looked and saw a few white feathers sticking out. I was able to pull her out gently and she wasn't hurt - just hungry and thirsty after a day and a half of no water or food and heat index in the 100s.

I am so thankful I found her and she is ok - what a terrible scare that was - my kids are going to be thrilled when they get home from school!

wee.gif
ya.gif
:celebrate

You, too? What is going on with all of our chickens lately? They keep getting lost and found.
lol.png

That's great news.

Back
Top Bottom