RIR Breed Thread

I hope this thread keeps going. It has been very informative for me as I decide where to get birds for the start of my RIR flock. I do have on question though. If you are funning both SC and RC will the birds from a cross be one or the other or do the traits mix at times?

Thanks

We were without power for 20 hours. At the suggestion of some people on this list I put hand warmers like the hunters use under my precious RIR eggs from Taterschickens.

They were mostly spot on at 100 degrees, also with an old fur coat over the incubator, but did get down to 91 degrees once.

I am pretty sure I lost some, but also a number still look good. Keep fingers crossed for me.

Catherine

Quote:
Vexor,
If you would cross a rose comb with a single comb R.I. Red you would get a percentage of both single and rose comb.

Chris

Does anyone here belong to the RIR Club.............? What do you think of it if you do or comments from anyone.

Quote:
Vexor,
If you would cross a rose comb with a single comb R.I. Red you would get a percentage of both single and rose comb.

Chris

I was told if you cross a single comb with a rose comb you get rose comb with a small hole/holes in the top/ ine the rose comb.
Has anyone else heard of this ???

Quote:
Vexor,

Chris

I was told if you cross a single comb with a rose comb you get rose comb with a small hole/holes in the top/ ine the rose comb.
Has anyone else heard of this ???

Well I have done the cross for some time to get more body size on the one Rose Comb Red line I have and all ways got Single and Rose comb. I believe NYREDS has done the cross also and he gets the same results..
The rose comb from this cross will have some defects overly large, some with thumb prints etc..

Chris

Last edited:
I plan on joining the RIR Club. I also heard they had some good video on judging that happened at some shows. Has anyone heard that or have any tapes or DVDs of different birds at shows?

This cockerel is out of a Single comb rooster and Rose comb hen cross..
33115_dsc_0536.png

And is this Rose comb roosters 1/2 brother (same mother/ dam)
33115_picture_303.jpg

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom