RIR Breed Thread

HI, I new to BYC and I'm looking for good show quality RIRs. eggs, chicks or adults.....I live in central OR. Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks...

Quote:
If I were you I would go to WWW.Crohio.com and click on the Rhode Island red forum and ask your question there.

I found out the best way to ask your question is to be as specific as you can and give a bit of information about your interest.

Rose comb or single comb?

Large Fowl or Bantam?

Have you joined a club or would you be intereted, considering showing?

Many good breeders would like to know that you intend to continue to improve the breed

I would recommend avoiding questions like: how soon can I get them? How much will they cost?

I found I got the best response by posting a bit about why and how I got interested, what I would like to do with them, and where there might be breeders in my geographic vicinity.

Breeders are getting close to hatch time and will likely be having either fertile eggs or chicks pretty soon so now is a good time to post your questions.

Oh and I also recommend subscribing to Poultry Press and getting a copy of the standard of perfection.

I wish you luck and I do not know of Oregon breeders, they may exist. Chris09 posts on here often and can likely help you more than I can he does show and breed but not sure if he has anything to sell just yet.

Like greathorse had said your best bet is going to be The R.I. Red Form at CRohio.
At this time I cant think of any breeders in OR.
If you are willing to have eggs shipped cross country I can get you some name but I will need to know if you are looking for Rose comb or Single comb Large Fowl or Bantam.

Chris

How about these beauties? They aren't mine. They are Pine Grove's ..
BUT, I am going to have some from this flock!

000_0055.jpg

100_0097.jpg

100_0174.jpg

100_0118.jpg

100_0240.jpg

bargain,
I know you said that your flash stuck but, are your birds legs white or yellow?
Where did you get your stock?

Chris

If you are going to retake the pictures take a picture of the whole bird (hen and rooster) so that the we can see the color of the birds too and not just a set of legs.

Chris

Last edited:
kathyinmo - those RIRs are gorgeous! I have one that I got from member shelleyb1969 that's a Rosecomb RIR - she is GORGEOUS and almost black, she's so dark! I absolutely love her! And, she's so laid back & friendly! I believe she is from Horstmann (sp?) stock, and I really want more some day. SHe hasn't begun to lay yet....and she's got to be 34 weeks now, but it's okay; I'll wait. She's a big girl, and likely will lay huge eggs for me!

Quote:
If you compare your birds with the Pine Grove birds also pictured in this thread I think you'll see a big difference in terms of both type & colour. Someone may have told you those weren't production Reds but I'm afraid they are. I assume you haven't shown them or at least not in a sanctioned show.

Back
Top Bottom