RN's? Nurses?

Graduated as LPN in Dec, sat for my NCLEX exam 2 weeks later and passed! Will start my first job as a nurse on the 24th of Jan. and I am nervous. Excellent student, but anxious to see how the education gets applied in real world nursing. Still in school to complete my RN goal but at the moment my classes are only Eng 102 and a Com class. Seriously considering doing an online LPN to RN bridge program once this semester is finished. By then I will have a few months actual work experience and some idea of how much time I will have to devote to school, work and family.

I am doing my RN-BSN online now. I definitely recommend online if you can stay focused. It's great for a busy schedule. I have three kids ages 5, 3 and 1. Only work weekends right now.

I've been a practicing nurse for 37 years mostly public health and school based nursing. Now working in an elementary school with 625 kids and every day find humor in the little folks I work with. Watching classes of kids walk past my clinic door as they go through the school keeps me chuckling. They twirl around, jump, dance, tiptoe, walk backwards. . . then the teacher looks back and reminds them they are supposed to "be in a straight line". Wish I'd started a journal way back when to remember the gems. Most of the time, though, I feel lucky to remember my own name.

I also work per diem at an assisted living facility to keep perspective.

By the way. . . there is no such thing as a "retired" nurse. People will always say "you're a nurse, should I . . . " or "will you look at my (fill in the body part). . ." or "my doctor told me to ____, what do you think about that advice".
roll.png

It's an awesome profession for those of you just starting out. there is definitely something for everyone.

Wow, compared to your schedule mine should be easy, as my kids are grown and gone, I only work 3 days a week and no distractions around the house other that my daydreaming about what I would like to be doing outside. I think the online classes will be perfect, and thanks for the advice.

I've been a practicing nurse for 37 years mostly public health and school based nursing. Now working in an elementary school with 625 kids and every day find humor in the little folks I work with. Watching classes of kids walk past my clinic door as they go through the school keeps me chuckling. They twirl around, jump, dance, tiptoe, walk backwards. . . then the teacher looks back and reminds them they are supposed to "be in a straight line". Wish I'd started a journal way back when to remember the gems. Most of the time, though, I feel lucky to remember my own name.

I also work per diem at an assisted living facility to keep perspective.

By the way. . . there is no such thing as a "retired" nurse. People will always say "you're a nurse, should I . . . " or "will you look at my (fill in the body part). . ." or "my doctor told me to ____, what do you think about that advice".
roll.png

You're right. We never really retire. I have a certificate from the State of California saying I'm retired and thanking me for my years of service. In real life, though, I'm asked about health, illness, anatomy & physiology, dying process, sick animals.... the skills are still there, just not the license. It must be great to work with children like that. You could probably write a book... when you retire!
It's an awesome profession for those of you just starting out. there is definitely something for everyone.

Something happened with my last post. It seems to have ended up in the middle of the original. Sorry about that, but I do agree with encouraging those just starting. It is good work.

Something happened with my last post. It seems to have ended up in the middle of the original. Sorry about that, but I do agree with encouraging those just starting. It is good work.

You can edit it and fix it, use the little pencil icon on the lower right, drag the text you wrote out of the quote box.

Mrs. Gargoyle is an RN, she's in the kitchen doing paperwork right now (10 p.m. Sunday night).

I'm not an RN but I'll be working in the health care field. I took my state exam for CNA last month and passed and I have one more day of my medication aide class and then I take the state exam for that. I'd love to work for hospice afterwards.

Hi everyone,

Started back at college today. Boy are we in for a big semester of studies, assignments and placements. It's go go go
th.gif
I'm sure once we get into it I will probably feel like
he.gif
at times. I have to admit though, I am very exciting at the same time, hard work yes however in the end it will be all worth it. I just find it hard to take when you do group presentations or group studies that some will put in the hard yacka and others will only input what they have to or let you do the work for them and in the end they get the same mark as you do
barnie.gif
. I'm not always right but I do put in 100 % and so far I have not failed. I am also excited that this semester we will be going on an excursion to the Anatomy Museum where people give their bodies to science. Apparently it smells quite a bit of formaldehyde - I'm looking forward to this, it will make the studies so much more real to me and to see real body parts instead of the usual diagrams. I hope I'm not making anyone nauseous, not my intent, I hope this is also OK to write.

Anyway, I hope you all have a wonderful week, till my next entry

Cheers
Chrissy
ya.gif

PS: I'm sitting in my sarong steaming even with the fan on - still very hot and muggy over here
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom