Road Island Reds

AlleysChicks

Enabler
6 Years
Oct 10, 2016
Southern Ohio
I have a few pullets that have become aggressive to the other pullets and myself in the last 2 weeks. They will be fine and then charge 10 feet across the run and attack another pullet pulling its feathers out. Are RIR normally aggressive or did I just luck out and get 2 crazy ones?

They have bad rep for being aggressive.I had 2 who ran the flock and caused tons of injuries.They are like demons who posses.They made our other hens aggressive and the first flock was just terrible.

They tend to do better wth sane breed.I do not favor them but will keep two or 3.

1f62a.png
Well I didn't realize they were so nasty, I wanted a mix flock. I planned on selling the two RIRs and 2 other pullets. But after tonight the one didn't want to go in the coop so I thought I'd help her in. She decided to bite and I have a nice bruising welt on my arm. Most likely she won't be around at sundown tomorrow. Thank you
1f60a.png

Id butcher the nasty girl or rehibilatate herWoud not give them away for someone else to deal with it.I would get an even "Nastier" hen and ibtroduce her,that could help the situation big time.

Oh I had planned on getting rid of her before she had got nasty. I just have too many for what I wanted. The 2 RIRs were low in rank, they had never caused any problems until recently. They're only 14 weeks. Not big enough to waste time for the freezer.

I have two Rhode Island Reds, about six months old, they haven't been aggressive, yet, but they are very aloof and won't come near myself or my husband. Compared to my Buff orp., who is an angel, the RIRs are unfriendly.

Back
Top Bottom