Roaming Dogs Caught on Game Camera Several Times

OMG - Love it!

You know those stickers folks put on their rear window to represent family with man, woman, kids and, sometimes, dogs and cats? I saw one today that had rooster, hen and chicks. That would be me, for sure! Forget the kids, ha!

I got mine on Amazon. I had a gift card. It was just $14.95 to begin with and I had a $10 gift card so thought, why not?

This one might work, too:

But here's the one I got in gray: https://www.amazon.com/chickens-shirt-Chicken-Farmers-T-shirt/dp/B01GLMDOKI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1476310457&sr=8-4&keywords=%2Cmess+with+my+chicken+shirts

Last edited:
Today's download didn't show the dogs. I moved the camera a few feet to the right, toward the power line easement side, pointing more to where my land slopes down to that road they come and go on. We'll see what we see, I guess. I'm thinking about getting a security camera setup with up to 4 wireless cameras that I can watch with my computer in the house. Would be a bit easier than a game cam, always going down to where it is to get the SD card and take it to the house.

You know those stickers folks put on their rear window to represent family with man, woman, kids and, sometimes, dogs and cats? I saw one today that had rooster, hen and chicks. That would be me, for sure! Forget the kids, ha!

You mean like this one?
lau.gif
lol

The same dipwads would cry a river if your chickens killed their dogs, probably demand some new laws be passed. Personally I would throw the carcass at the edge of my property and let it rot. Let it serve as a warning to the other dogs.

Last edited:
That fence is pretty far back from the house, surrounds over 2 acres, not sure how to hotwire it.

There are several good solar powered fence chargers that can electrify up to 15 miles of wire, which is about 75,000 feet. 2 acres will take about 1200 feet per pass . That distance is usually rated for grass load.

As for chickens being property, it doesn't stop being your property once the dog kills it, and it still has some value which can be further damaged. Whether it is as dog food, compost, or bait for your traps for other predators.

The dog is damaging your property merely by its presence, since your flock will stop eating and either run or hide. In fact a case could be made that even if they are staying on the other side of the fence, they are still harassing your chickens, since they will be less likely to make full use of their forage space.

Last edited:
The same dipwads would cry a river if your chickens killed their dogs, probably demand some new laws be passed. Personally I would throw the carcass at the edge of my property and let it rot. Let it serve as a warning to the other dogs.
You bet they would. Of course, dogs have little to fear from chickens, though my best friend's "robo-rooster" has come out on top with coyote, fox, dog and stray cat (killed the cat) and is over 6 years old. He's one in a million, however.

There are several good solar powered fence chargers that can electrify up to 15 miles of wire, which is about 75,000 feet. 2 acres will take about 1200 feet per pass . That distance is usually rated for grass load.

As for chickens being property, it doesn't stop being your property once the dog kills it, and it still has some value which can be further damaged. Whether it is as dog food, compost, or bait for your traps for other predators.

The dog is damaging your property merely by its presence, since your flock will stop eating and either run or hide. In fact a case could be made that even if they are staying on the other side of the fence, they are still harassing your chickens, since they will be less likely to make full use of their forage space.
I completely agree with you about the property. My birds, or most of them, to me, are family. When you've had a hen for almost ten years -and I have several who are approaching that mark and several more who are almost nine years old- you are attached to that animal, as much as any dog. Well, I am. It was a revelation, the way we can feel about an animal that is considered a food animal, though ours are never used for anything other than eggs (unless the rare mean rooster pops up, then chicken stew).

I agree that the dogs are interfering with the enjoyment of my property, as is the case with all other folks suffering the irresponsibility of bad neighbors/dog owners. We're on guard all the time right now. I have not seen them in the last few days, which doesn't mean they weren't here, just not in front of my eyes or the game camera. I am very afraid to allow them to free range because my two youngest groups, the ones that are my future layers and breeders, forage at the fence line where the grasses grow taller. They have not been out of the barn pen for a couple of days now because I feel I must be out there every minute to keep them safe.

Regarding the hotwire, the perimeter fence goes through the woods in most areas in the front of the property, then across the back of the main part, which divides that from our pasture lot. We leave most of the main 2 1/4 acres wooded for privacy except behind the barn. So, I'll have to think about that. One problem is my cat. He showed up two years ago as a stray and refuses to stay in the house, definitely an outdoor/hunter-type. He goes over and through that fence almost daily so it might be an issue for him. I'd hate to shock my own cat.

Back
Top Bottom